ermine genetics

You've saw them at a show? How cool. Was it an APA show?
J just saw something recently about the lady that started them. It mentioned se now has a dedicated group of breeders working with them and many are showing them as they're working on getting the variety accepted by the APA in LF and Bantam.

I have, at the Ohio Nationals! They're quite the eye-catching birds :love It did seem like there had been more in last year's show than had been in there previously, so that tracks with what you'd heard!

Ameraucana, erminette female.jpg

Last edited:
I have, at the Ohio Nationals! They're quite the eye-catching birds :love It did seem like there were more than there had been more in last year's show than had been in there previously, so that tracks with what you'd heard!

View attachment 3736282
I may be wrong but I think it was the lady that started them that said she was there with them.
Read some stuff about her but then some about a couple others that had started working with them too.
I liked the lady that started them. Oh and BTW no one mentioned the mottling gene being involved. She wanted to get them APA approved. Apparently very few women get anything approved by them so she took that as a challenge, lol.
She wasn't about fame or money and was wise enough and generous enough to bring in others that would be dedicated to the goal. APA won't consider anything until multiples are being shown by multiple members.
There was also mention of her working with 4H groups donating lots of hatching eggs.
Very cool attitude.

Ah, wish I had known! It would have been cool to talk with her about them! I love that perspective, too. I'm the same way with my silkied Cochin bantams, not that I was the one that started those or anything. But I'd similarly rather see as many people as possible enjoying them and working with them than keep them to myself. I just really love them and want to see the variety thrive!

But yeah, I've also never heard of mottling being involved with Ermine Ameraucanas. I was kind of hoping that there was a source for that info, but now I'm wondering if that was just an assumption based on the little placeholder image that the chicken calculator generated for that genotype in the screenshot posted? That's... not really evidence of that being the actual genotype of these birds. 🤔

Mottled is not in Ermine Ameraucanas because mottling extends to the legs when homozygous. I have pure breeding black mottled Ams and their legs are heavily mottled. I think that looks cool, but Ameraucana "purists" won't stand for light colors on the legs.

Back
Top Bottom