Escapee Mallard Hen

ChickBond 007

Licensed to Cull
11 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Madison County, Iowa
Before the snowstorm last evening, I put all 17 ducks (3 call, 14 flying mallards) into the 10X12 duck shack. The snow fell about 13" and the wind came up to 45 mph, and we have a true blue blizzard here.
I should mention that we've just moved this duck shack to the farm, and it still sits on the hay rack trailer, unloaded, about 4 feet above the ground, on wheels. A mobile home for ducks, you could say. I filled it with straw and loaded them in with food and water. Much better than their open pen/small doghouse setup from earlier.
This morning, when hubby went out, he heard a hen calling and saw her UNDER that hayrack. I bundled up, went out, caught her. She was alert, but her feet felt very cold and dry. I put her in the shack with her buddies. I don't know how long she was out, or from what crack she escaped.
What are the chances of frost bite on her little mallard feet?

she is probably totally fine. My mallards stayed out on the pond last night, in the only unfrozen part, 15 degrees F outside, and are now sitting in the snow in 23 degree weather, while snow is falling 2 inches per hour. She should have had her feet up in her tummy feathers, and her feet will be cold and dry if she's in dry cold weather. If they're not cracked or anything, you should be fine. Go check on her in an hour or two, and see how she's doing. if she can walk, I wouldn't worry.

Back
Top Bottom