European Starling care?

The whole reason for asking a question on a forum is to get people's opinions. No one will have the same opinion on a matter.
We're not trying to annoy or upset you, we're just trying to explain that although the idea sounds wonderful at the moment, it may turn out to be an utter failure resulting in serious problems.
I'm sorry if I've offended you.

It may be worth looking for an aviary bird forum so as not to get silly answers from poultry owners.
I have kept and bred parrots for quite a number of years(I no longer) and I know for a fact that hand rearing even just 1 bird requires extreme dedication. Day and night.
I suggest you just give it some more thought. I trust you are successful in whatever you decide to do. :)
You didn't offend me so it's ok, but my question was actually "do people have experience on raising starlings? Do you have any tips?" I wasn't asking for people's opinions on whether I should do it or not. I respect all of your opinions but I'm slightly annoyed because nobody has actually answered my real question. And yes, I know how hard it is to hand rear baby birds, Ive raised 6 now, so we're only going to be taking in 2 at a time, one for my friend to rear, one for me. Thank you for your concern but I know what I'm doing.

I am very interested to see what you aviary looks like. You may also want to be able to have some smaller, parrot cages or blocked of sections of the aviary for bird you take back in, so that you can quarantine? I really don't know if Starlings develop diseases like chickens, were you have to quarantine. Or if you have to integrate new birds, but that is also something to do research on.
Yeah I have some extra parrot cages and a few smaller cages too from my past rescues. Here's the aviary! (it's more like a greenhouse, and we're planning on putting hardware cloth over the windows so the birds don't fly into them.)
A7C96796-C444-4E51-B230-202E02C449AF.jpeg

You didn't offend me so it's ok, but my question was actually "do people have experience on raising starlings? Do you have any tips?" I wasn't asking for people's opinions on whether I should do it or not. I respect all of your opinions but I'm slightly annoyed because nobody has actually answered my real question. And yes, I know how hard it is to hand rear baby birds, Ive raised 6 now, so we're only going to be taking in 2 at a time, one for my friend to rear, one for me. Thank you for your concern but I know what I'm doing.
Oh in that case, no, I have no idea how to raise a starling. Just chickens 🥰

Ok, I know you each have your own opinions and I respect that, but I want you to understand that I'm doing this to HELP the ecosystem, and I believe every animal deserves to live. So I'm going to be taking them in, selling them as pets, and taking any back in if their owners can't keep them. I have a plan, I know what I'm doing, I have experience, and I really don't feel like arguing.
I think it is a great idea, it would work perfectly until you sell the birds to someone else. I only wanted to make sure you know about that problem before you start.
Keep us updated with how it goes it sounds very interesting :).
Something to keep in mind is if you sell intact animals then people can buy them from you and breed them sorry if you don’t want to hear this but I think it is very important you know of all the things which could go wrong so you can think lf ways to fix them.

Yeah I have some extra parrot cages and a few smaller cages too from my past rescues. Here's the aviary! (it's more like a greenhouse, and we're planning on putting hardware cloth over the windows so the birds don't fly into them.)View attachment 2510706
Wow that looks really awesome! What a beautiful aviary! It is very good so much light can get inside :thumbsup
Over the years I have raised (or tried to raise - unfortunately not not every single case ended successfully) rescued babies of nine different wild bird species (to be released back in the wild after being old and/or healthy and prepared enough), but not European sterlings (although I'm in Europe 😅 - there was just never a little one in need we did find or who was brought to us) so I have no special advices on raising them. The only advice that could possibly be helpful is to build kind of an aisle between the aviary and the entry to the outside or from the entry to kind of a second door; some kind of safe area inbetween. I did have a young raised swallow who snitched out the aviary-entry when I left the aviary after feeding them. It had heard some grown up swallows circling over the neighbour's property and directly joined them, so perhaps it went well. But if I could have decided I wouldn't have let it out that day (so its younger sibling was left behind and I had planned to release them together). This wouldn't have happened if I had set up a safe space/second door.

Back
Top Bottom