Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

There hasn't been any activity on this thread for a month. Time for every one to check in and report how they are doing with their EOs this spring. I have eggs coming and I'm looking forward to them.

First batch of EO chicks are 4 weeks old, second batch should start popping tonight. First hatch looks like 4 cockerels and 8 pullets.
Picture of first hatch, EO's, Bantam Chocolate Cuckoo Orps, Cream Brabanters and a couple silkie/showgirls.

Pretty babies, RFR. I have 5 that are about a month old. They are my first Basque hens and so far, I love them. I have tried a lot of breeds but these are the friendliest by far. One little girl can't wait to rush over and sit with me. To say I'm smitten is putting it mildly. I've been waiting on her for a long time. An order of a dozen eggs have been ordered from Black Walnut Farm in PA. It should give me some to pick from and a start.

I am disappointed there isn't more activity with this group. This a a wonderful breed that needs to be in the spotlight as much as possible. If we promoted them as strongly as Skyline did, there would be much interest. And they deserve it.

Last edited:
We've been getting eggs for 2.5 months now. Our oldest hold backs are 4 weeks old (some extras for sale) and our youngest are hatching now (also for sale). Can't wait to see what our breeding pens are producing this year since we finally got everyone separated out like we want.

Has anyone had problems with fertility? Is this a problem in the breed? There is only one veining out of 14 eggs.
Replies appreciated.

I don't think so. I got eggs once from a reputable breeder that didn't develop, but it turned out that the rooster was injured and wasn't doing his job (she investigated after I reported the lack of development.) Other batches that I got from her developed within the usual shipped eggs percentages. If these came from your own flock, you may want to check if the hens' fluffy butts need trimming and there's no problem with the rooster.

These were not from my birds. I ordered 2 times from the same place and both had an unusual number of eggs that were clear. I chalked it up to the postal service handling the first time. But the second batch was even worse (only 1 veining), hence my wondering. I've hatched a lot of shipped eggs over the years, and felt this was unusual. I sent a msg to the breeder and just received a reply to compensate for the poor development.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom