Everyone is picking on her

Holy crow!! You got a LOT of boys there... your picked on girl is the only girl I can tell from these pics... might have another or 2, but looks like lots of boys...

These are Sebrights, notoriously hard to sex since the roosters are 'hen feathered', but they get bigger combs and wattles... dunno why your one boy has a single comb, must be a mix... separate that girl asap before they tear her up mating...

I agree. You appear to have a flock full of boys! It certainly explains why your poor girl is getting so much attention. As stated, the tail feathers are a strong indication of gender at this age and most likely your flock is hitting puberty and raging hormones are the cause of your problems.

I thought it looked like a bunch of boys, that's why I asked....
Thank you for responding so quickly...!
Get that poor little girl out of there.... yikes

Not the best pic (and not mine) but this shows hen on left, rooster on right...

Try separating her and give her a buddy to hang out with.If possible keep her in view of the other flock.That way down the road you can put her back in with the rest of the flock.I am going through the same issues.I do have a 30x30 run complete with two coops.We separated the heavy breed hens from our little Bantam's.They have been sharing the same area for over a year.with no problems.Until the last couple of weeks.I am pretty sure one of the big hens is part meat bird.She is a year old and she is so heavy she can't fly.She Has started mounting my bantam hens.I am afraid she will cause serious injury being she is so heavy.All of them were stressed out this morning because they did not have assessed to the whole area.

Change of the guards... Always stressful ... It just takes time... I used some stuff called pick no more- it has a bad taste for the chickens, so they should learn to leave her be. Just put it on her back. On second thought, I'm not sure if the pick no more helped on my chicken, or if they kind of just simmered down naturally. It's worth a shot!

Does the one on the left have a comb at all - because all of mine do.

GRRRR!

I'm starting to wonder if the 'Bantams' I purchased aren't Bantams at all. Think they'll let me return them?
tongue.png

Well, if I do have 7 roosters, I'm going to have to thin them out because they'll start fighting eventually...correct? I'd rather do it now and buy a new batch. I can still fatten them up before winter.

She is mounting them like a rooster does.I am puzzled what has gotten in to her.She mashes them flat when she does it.My bantams are three years old.I don't want them being hurt by her weight.

I don't know Sebrights specifically, but I would also think you would start seeing knobs coming out of their legs for spurs by now if they are roos... My experience with roos is typically if they are raised together and have enough girls, fighting is minimal. It's when they start having to compete that the fighting begins. Some breeds are more prone than others.

Does the one on the left have a comb at all - because all of mine do.

GRRRR!

I'm starting to wonder if the 'Bantams' I purchased aren't Bantams at all. Think they'll let me return them? :p  

Well, if I do have 7 roosters, I'm going to have to thin them out because they'll start fighting eventually...correct? I'd rather do it now and buy a new batch. I can still fatten them up before winter.

It has a small comb, but hatchery/feed store Sebrights can have slightly bigger ones on the hens... yes, they are bantams, just bad luck on male odds, sorry... with only 1 hen, yes, they will start fighting or at least tearing her up... if they are all boys, then a bachelor flock can live peacefully, not always, but many have luck with just boys staying together if they grew up together...

I don't know Sebrights specifically, but I would also think you would start seeing knobs coming out of their legs for spurs by now if they are roos... My experience with roos is typically if they are raised together and have enough girls, fighting is minimal.  It's when they start having to compete that the fighting begins.  Some breeds are more prone than others.

Spurs don't show up until much later...

She is mounting them like a rooster does.I am puzzled what has gotten in to her.She mashes them flat when she does it.My bantams are three years old.I don't want them being hurt by her weight.

Separate her before she does hurt them... are you sure she is a hen?

Back
Top Bottom