Everything Chickens....

B4chKns

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2018
Hi Everyone,

Just joined this forum and after reviewing some of the different coop designs decided on building my own also. Have always wanted to have my own chickens. I helped with relatives over the years but never had my own until recently. Started with pullets consisting of 3 Barred Rock, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 3 Australorpes. Was only going to get two of each but there were only three Barred Rock left and didn't want the little chick to be lonely. Anyhow they are now 8 weeks old and I am building the chicken coop tomorrow after finally acquiring all the materials I need. I built a pretty good sized brooder box but as of the last two weeks it is all but outgrown. Would have this built already but our rainy Indiana weather every weekend for the past month has put me way behind. I'm looking forward to seeing these hens grow into good layers but chose dual purpose birds is the case they don't. We have a great backyard spot for the coop and I will post pics of the construction and when introducing the birds to their new home. I have found this BYC site to be an excellent source of info for poultry and I am sure to have a question or two moving forward. I already enjoy interacting with them during feeding and watering time. My wife is a little skiddish for now (she was attacked by a rooster at 5 years old), so it is understandable. I told her that hens aren't as ornery as roosters so she may warm up to them later on. I am a do it yourselfer, jack of all trades type of person so raising chickens doesn't intimidate me a bit. Having farm fresh eggs every morning is real appealing also. My son of thirteen is looking forward to helping take care of them too. He was a late addition to our little family. His sister was sixteen when he was born and my wife in her late thirties. I was already in my early forties. I turned 57 just last week. In any case the adventure has begun and so looking forward to sharing with you all.

Egg shaped welcome.jpg
It is great having you here!

Hens are much nicer than some roosters for sure

Welcome to BYC. You can find everything you've ever needed to know on these pages and if you don't find it just ask, members here love to help and answer even the dumbest questions ( I know from my own questions ) I am a 57 year old transplanted Hoosier and still a loyal IU fan. I got into chickens less than a year ago and they are a great hobby that supply me with breakfast. Have fun building your coop and then planning your next coop in about 6 months, because it happens.

What a wonderful introduction and welcome to the flock! BYC has been a helpful resource to me as well. Good articles, lots of info, and friendly helpful peeps. I hope you continue to find it useful and have fun building your coop. Look forward to seeing your pics.
ENJOY!
:wee

Back
Top Bottom