Expanding Exchequer bloodline?

WheatenLover

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2023
I’m located in a country where Exchequer Leghorns are very uncommon, only a handful of breeders in the country.

I am not too familiar with how the Exchequer reacts with other colours being introduced. Has anyone crossed Exchequer hens with a different colour rooster to introduce new genetics and then breed back to Exchequer? Like how some people breed lavender to black and then breed splits back to pure lavender again if they are having feather issues?

I’d love everyone’s input!

I’m located in a country where Exchequer Leghorns are very uncommon, only a handful of breeders in the country.

I am not too familiar with how the Exchequer reacts with other colours being introduced. Has anyone crossed Exchequer hens with a different colour rooster to introduce new genetics and then breed back to Exchequer? Like how some people breed lavender to black and then breed splits back to pure lavender again if they are having feather issues?

I’d love everyone’s input!
I'm not sure what other breeds you have available.
Obvious hands down choice would be Anconas.
Anything pure black could work well. Or you could get a little further away using something barred or even blue.
The closer you stay to what an exchequer has the better. That includes skin color, comb type etc.

I'm not sure what other breeds you have available.
Obvious hands down choice would be Anconas.
Anything pure black could work well. Or you could get a little further away using something barred or even blue.
The closer you stay to what an exchequer has the better. That includes skin color, comb type etc.
Aspen, don't mean to hijack your thread but I have been mulling over a similar question.

I want to have exchequer leghorns with rose combs. Brown rose comb leghorns are the only ones I've found easily available.

@The Moonshiner , I used a calculator and using a brown leghorn with exchequer gave all black offspring. I guess I don't understand what makes the exchequer color, could I breed back the offspring to a exchequer chicken to get the color back

Or is there an easier/better way to do this I am overlooking?

Aspen, don't mean to hijack your thread but I have been mulling over a similar question.

I want to have exchequer leghorns with rose combs. Brown rose comb leghorns are the only ones I've found easily available.

@The Moonshiner , I used a calculator and using a brown leghorn with exchequer gave all black offspring. I guess I don't understand what makes the exchequer color, could I breed back the offspring to a exchequer chicken to get the color back

I'm not 100% sure I'm right, but if you cross these chicks back to exchequer, you should get 50% black, 50% exchequer, and 50% rose comb, and 50% straight.

The Brown will work

Interesting, I thought that RC was always dominant? Or can it still show up as a recessive
Rose comb is always dominant over straight comb, but that doesn't mean it will pass in every breeding. That's up to random chance; being dominant just means if they carry the gene for RC, they will show RC. If a bird is heterozygous for rose comb-only having one gene for RC(like your f1 cross will) they will show Rose comb, but only pass it onto 50% of their offspring if bred to a single comb bird.

Back
Top Bottom