Experimental & other Hatch-a-long

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
Doing my last hatches of the year.

First I have 3 silkie eggs, 3 store bought eggs from some local farmer, and 4 mixed breed bantam eggs. 10 eggs in total, due to hatch around 04.05 - 05.05. They're under my broody hen Okakley, so I'll be calling it Oakley's batch.

Second I have 6 silkie eggs and 2 frizzle mix eggs. 8 eggs in total, due to hatch on 08.05. They're under my broody hen Chrissy, meaning I'll be referring to it as Chrissy's batch.

Third I have 8 silkie eggs due on 17.05. This will be Smokey's batch.

Lastly in the incubator I have 9 store bought eggs from a bigger farm, (no idea if they're fertilized or not. Probably not.) and 2 brahma bantam mix eggs due on 17.05. as well.

And then I have 14 eggs given to me by my relatives to hatch for them from their backyard mutts. Possible fathers of those chicks are either their mutts or the 4 bantam roosters I've given them over the years. They're due around 18.05.

So the experimental eggs are the store bought ones and the ones given to me to hatch. No idea what will come out of them.

Oakley's batch:
9/10 are definitely developing (including 2 of the store bought eggs). The 3rd store bought egg is blue and I'm having a hard time seeing through the shell. I would guess it's probably empty.

Chrissy's batch:
8/8 are developing. Oakley decided to switch nests with Chrissy and broke an egg in it yesterday. Thankfully it was a newly layed extra egg, not one of the hatching eggs. I cleaned up the eggs and nest, so hopefully the eggs will be okay.

It's too early to see what's up with the other eggs.

On second thought, after candling the blue egg, I wouldn't give up on it yet. It's a lot darker than it was on day 1. Even though I see no blood vessels, more then half of the egg is dark. For day 14 I'd say it could very well be developing. We'll see.

On second thought, after candling the blue egg, I wouldn't give up on it yet. It's a lot darker than it was on day 1. Even though I see no blood vessels, more then half of the egg is dark. For day 14 I'd say it could very well be developing. We'll see.
I raise quail, so I know the struggle of "what the $^!&#^@&@ am I looking at??" when candling eggs. For me, if it's not obviously empty, I just go ahead and incubate 'til there's no debate.

The frizzle eggies are doing good. Since Smokey's silkie eggs are very light, I could see 7/8 are starting to develop. One I'm gonna look at again in about 2 days.

The incubator eggs pretty much all have those spotty/porous shells, so they'll probably be a nightmare to candle in the beginning.

Oakley's batch with the first 3 experimental eggs are due to hatch this weekend! Really excited to see what's going to hatch out.

Back
Top Bottom