Extremely lethargic golden comet hen

Jun 9, 2021
Colorado
Hey everyone. I have a golden comet hen who is about two years old. Today I have noticed that she has been in the nest box the whole day, and is very lethargic. I have heard gonna come it’s not live on due to reproductive issues. I have nutridrench. I was thinking of giving her and I’m wondering if I should bring her inside and care for overnight. She is very outgoing but right now she’s falling asleep standing up. thanks

Here she is. She has a bit of purple on her comb

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    689.1 KB · Views: 4
Are her wings pointing down a bit? Is she swollen up between her legs?

What kind of feed is she on?

If you think she may be eggbound, go ahead and get a calcium tab into her, continue doing that for a few days even after she lays an egg.

Are her wings pointing down a bit? Is she swollen up between her legs?

What kind of feed is she on?

If you think she may be eggbound, go ahead and get a calcium tab into her, continue doing that for a few days even after she lays an egg.
Yes, her wings are pointing down a bit. I do not believe it is egg bound this because she doesn’t seem to have a lump in between her legs. She is on the Purina organic layer feed.

She seems quite a bit better. I’m wondering if she was dehydrated and after having some Nutri drench mixed in water she is acting a lot perkier and better.

I would go ahead and give her a human calcium citrate tablet with vitamin d3 orally for a few days to a week since her last egg was soft shelled. Aim for 600 mg of calcium daily. Just place it inside her beak to swallow. Continue the fluids and NutriDrench or sugar water for the next 24 hours. Make sure that she is eating, and that the others are not keeping her from water or food.

Back
Top Bottom