Eye Swollen Shut

smdcleland

Songster
Sep 4, 2021
Upstate, NY
Hey everyone.

Today I noticed my D'Uccle's eye was red and puffy. She opens it sometimes but mostly keeps it closed. I brought her in and flushed it out. She is spending the evening isolated in the tub.

What do you think the issue could be?

Attachments

• 20220927_194400.jpg
    20220927_194400.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 30
I forgot to mention - she is not sneezing and there is no puss. Her other eye is clear and bright. She is eating okay and pooping normally.

Use some Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin 2-3 times daily after cleaning the eye. But look for any pecks, or foreign body, seeds, dirt, etc) in the eye. Have you added any new birds recently? The swollen eyelid can be a sign of mycoplasma gallisepticum respiratory disease. Do you see any bubbles or foam in the eye?

I didn't see anything in the eye when I was flushing it. I will look better tomorrow when my husband is home and can help me. I didn't see any foam either. What do you mean by bubbles?

The whole flock is new. They have been adopted from others and have been together for probably a month now. Stress has been high as they establish a pecking order and get to know each other. Plus she is currently molting, which I think is stressing her as well.

I tried to take some pictures of her eye. They are kind of hard to see. There is no puss and no bubbles or foam.

Do you think it is an injury from a peck?

Also, do I put Neosporin directly on her eye?

Attachments

• 20220928_103337.jpg
    20220928_103337.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220928_103322.jpg
    20220928_103322.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 2
Anyone have any advice?? Will and lose the eye?? How long does she need to isolate?? Do I put the Neosporin directly on her eyeball??

No change. Her eye isn't any better. I've been using Neosporin. She can't stay isolated in the bathtub - that can't be good for her. I don't know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom