EZ Frame Chicken Coop Build

Pics
Today we cut the feet for the coop from a 4x4x8 severe weather board and primed my floor board with flex seal for waterproofing. I decided to try the spray can Flex Seal for the big boards. More expensive but soooo much faster and easier 😆 So I’m getting another can or two for the feet. I figure it’s better to spend more on things like waterproofing wood that will be touching the ground and getting wet than to skimp and get rotten or moldy wood later! I also did the second coat of teal for my accent wall 😁 Getting closer! Once the feet are secured and the floor is attached to the base frame, things will really get rolling! I’m so impatient 😆😆
Can't wait to see it kurby!!! Yall are working at it and knocking it out fast!

Today was a conceptualizing day mostly! Put the frame all together so I can start planning how I want to handle the inside portion. I’ve learned from all of my little coops that I want it to be easy to clean out…so I’m working on the best layout for that purpose that will incorporate poop boards that I can remove.

I think I’ve figured out a plan but not quite able to explain it yet! Will be easier once things are ready. We are going to get the metal roof panels tomorrow and attach the feet to the floor so I can take the rest of the build outside :) Husband, kids, and dogs are getting tired of tripping on things in the living room 😆 I feel like I’m almost there!

Attachments

• 86074FFE-54D9-4DB3-BB66-D4DA24380747.jpeg
    86074FFE-54D9-4DB3-BB66-D4DA24380747.jpeg
    633.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 1649C399-4FF5-4858-A758-EEA68AD860C1.jpeg
    1649C399-4FF5-4858-A758-EEA68AD860C1.jpeg
    556 KB · Views: 11
  • ECA71AD8-229B-4370-ABBB-72C2C7C8CFB3.jpeg
    ECA71AD8-229B-4370-ABBB-72C2C7C8CFB3.jpeg
    701.1 KB · Views: 11
@kurit sure is coming along nicely!

I may have missed it...did you say how you were thinkin of using the middle pop door?
The middle wall is going to be closed off completely so that the coop can be two coops! 30x38 inches each with 10 ft covered runs. My show birds are going to use this coop and I want to be able to split them by colors and/or grow outs and/or project colors. I’m going to make the bottom half solid and the upper half will have some hardware cloth, to keep things ventilated. Each side will have a nest box, 60” of roost bar, and a pop door to their own 30”x10 ft run. I’m calling it the Cooplex 😆

After looking at yours - I think I might get that kit too but make the whole thing the coop by leaving the nesting box area, and taking out the middle pop door. I need an extra coop for a trio I want to put together this spring.
That’s what I like about this coop plan, it gives you a basic footprint that’s super easy and then you can modify to work best for you! I’m really enjoying this project a lot more than I expected! 😁

The middle wall is going to be closed off completely so that the coop can be two coops! 30x38 inches each with 10 ft covered runs. My show birds are going to use this coop and I want to be able to split them by colors and/or grow outs and/or project colors. I’m going to make the bottom half solid and the upper half will have some hardware cloth, to keep things ventilated. Each side will have a nest box, 60” of roost bar, and a pop door to their own 30”x10 ft run. I’m calling it the Cooplex 😆
Oh I see now! I was thinking 2 separate coops...not adjoining ones. I get it now!
Nice!!!

Another trip to Lowe’s today! Bought hopefully all the rest of the wood needed for the coop and run! Still probably gonna need one more trip for hardware and a couple other things, but I’m almost ready to cut siding and attach!

Lowe’s also had cheap pre-cut metal sheets that are the perfect size for the roof! So I bought some Krylon Fusion black spray paint and roofing screws. It’s hard to fit stuff in our vehicles so this was a great solution! I’m really happy how it looks! 🥰 Now I just have to figure out a ridge cap. Lowe’s apparently won’t cut metal after all and I don’t need a 10 ft long ridge cap—nor wud it fit in our SUV! I might as I buy it and sit cutting it down in the parking lot…haha. So gonna work on that.

Got a bunch of hardware too—some from the decking area and some from the gate hardware section. I also found nice 2x2x3 ft redwood decking balusters to use to connect the feet on the coop so I can attach hardware cloth. I plan to paint them black, but since they will be making ground contact, redwood was the best option! They don’t readily stock the severe weather wood as 2x2s and I needed to cut some cost where I could so we shall see how things go! They were $3/each and the severe weather ones were $6/each so it works!

My hardware cloth arrives tomorrow, so that’s probably my next big chore! And the husband will be cutting wood! I wanted the black cloth instead of regular and Lowe’s had the best price but I had to ship it!

Attachments

• 3502D3DE-D414-48B0-AE04-EB49FF86DE4A.jpeg
    3502D3DE-D414-48B0-AE04-EB49FF86DE4A.jpeg
    591.1 KB · Views: 15
  • F7D57B9F-3504-4BB5-AC6E-4D6D8F3A3D06.jpeg
    F7D57B9F-3504-4BB5-AC6E-4D6D8F3A3D06.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 1E79FDA9-02E4-40FF-8280-350F266B1286.jpeg
    1E79FDA9-02E4-40FF-8280-350F266B1286.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 65876BBF-CF15-415F-ABEC-F04549E8C8AC.jpeg
    65876BBF-CF15-415F-ABEC-F04549E8C8AC.jpeg
    475.1 KB · Views: 9
  • E19A9BDC-F393-4E0C-B95A-8B5BC2CB1C5D.jpeg
    E19A9BDC-F393-4E0C-B95A-8B5BC2CB1C5D.jpeg
    517.2 KB · Views: 7
  • C1F3EBE4-6948-4BEC-A4EC-5DB642B3A99A.jpeg
    C1F3EBE4-6948-4BEC-A4EC-5DB642B3A99A.jpeg
    544.1 KB · Views: 12
Another trip to Lowe’s today! Bought hopefully all the rest of the wood needed for the coop and run! Still probably gonna need one more trip for hardware and a couple other things, but I’m almost ready to cut siding and attach!

Lowe’s also had cheap pre-cut metal sheets that are the perfect size for the roof! So I bought some Krylon Fusion black spray paint and roofing screws. It’s hard to fit stuff in our vehicles so this was a great solution! I’m really happy how it looks! 🥰 Now I just have to figure out a ridge cap. Lowe’s apparently won’t cut metal after all and I don’t need a 10 ft long ridge cap—nor wud it fit in our SUV! I might as I buy it and sit cutting it down in the parking lot…haha. So gonna work on that.

Got a bunch of hardware too—some from the decking area and some from the gate hardware section. I also found nice 2x2x3 ft redwood decking balusters to use to connect the feet on the coop so I can attach hardware cloth. I plan to paint them black, but since they will be making ground contact, redwood was the best option! They don’t readily stock the severe weather wood as 2x2s and I needed to cut some cost where I could so we shall see how things go! They were $3/each and the severe weather ones were $6/each so it works!

My hardware cloth arrives tomorrow, so that’s probably my next big chore! And the husband will be cutting wood! I wanted the black cloth instead of regular and Lowe’s had the best price but I had to ship it!
I'll be curious to hear how the paint holds up on the roof. I have a corrugated metal roof that generated way too much glare into the house. I'd like paint it at some point.

Back
Top Bottom