Failed molt? bad genetics? something else?

dreamofwinter

Songster
Mar 1, 2021
Downeast Maine
Again I write to you, oh wise BYC friends, looking for answers to a chicken puzzle.
My 2-year-old hatchery stock Barred Rock hen, Blaze, looks like a battery hen. She dropped many of her feathers last fall but never fully molted (nor stopped laying, as far as I could tell). She was injured by one of my cockerels while breeding (because she is so naked) and spent a few weeks inside this January recovering; during this time she laid an egg a day, with only one day's break when she was first injured and one soft shelled egg the day after.

She's continued to lose feathers, some to breakage because she's been carrying them since September-ish of 2021. At this point her body is almost entirely feather-free, as are the tops of her wings. Her tail is a sad four feathers and I'm sure those will go soon too. Her skin is pretty red and irritated. She's her usual cheerful self and I haven't observed her (or anyone else) picking, plucking, or otherwise injuring her. She has been wearing a saddle but won't wear one with wing covers or one padded enough to really protect her from the cockerel, so she's now living with one other hen in my Eglu.

So at this point you're saying to yourself, must be parasites! And I have wondered that too. But - I can't find a darn thing on her. None of the other chickens she lives with have any issues, nor do the ducks. All the others molted and grew back feathers normally, though the other two BRs took a long time doing it and looked pretty rough at some points.
What would you do next? Treat her for parasites even though none are visible? Treat the whole flock? Is there a way to encourage her to finish her molt and grow new feathers in?

Do some hens just not have good feathering genes? Could it be that her fairly severe injury mid-molt somehow stopped the molting and feather growth cycle?

More about her living situation:
She lives in a 10x14 shed with good ventilation and tons of roost space, currently sharing with 7 other chickens and 9 ducks. The shed has been bedded in shavings and straw over the winter and is due for a spring cleanout (ugggh). She eats Poulin Premium Layer pellets, occasional scratch and veggie trimmings, and whatever she finds when free-ranging each afternoon on our 17 acres. She is neither the top hen nor the bottom, somewhere closer to the top than bottom for sure. As I said before, no signs of parasites on her other than the fact that her feathers have either fallen out or broken off on over half her body; she's in good weight; she is bright and alert and sassy.

She also Haaaaaaates being held - always has - so getting any decent photos will be very hard. I'll try to grab some tonight or tomorrow though.

Last edited:
Again I write to you, oh wise BYC friends, looking for answers to a chicken puzzle.
My 2-year-old hatchery stock Barred Rock hen, Blaze, looks like a battery hen. She dropped many of her feathers last fall but never fully molted (nor stopped laying, as far as I could tell). She was injured by one of my cockerels while breeding (because she is so naked) and spent a few weeks inside this January recovering; during this time she laid an egg a day, with only one day's break when she was first injured and one soft shelled egg the day after.

She's continued to lose feathers, some to breakage because she's been carrying them since September-ish of 2021. At this point her body is almost entirely feather-free, as are the tops of her wings. Her tail is a sad four feathers and I'm sure those will go soon too. Her skin is pretty red and irritated. She's her usual cheerful self and I haven't observed her (or anyone else) picking, plucking, or otherwise injuring her. She has been wearing a saddle but won't wear one with wing covers or one padded enough to really protect her from the cockerel, so she's now living with one other hen in my Eglu.

So at this point you're saying to yourself, must be parasites! And I have wondered that too. But - I can't find a darn thing on her. None of the other chickens she lives with have any issues, nor do the ducks. All the others molted and grew back feathers normally, though the other two BRs took a long time doing it and looked pretty rough at some points.
What would you do next? Treat her for parasites even though none are visible? Treat the whole flock? Is there a way to encourage her to finish her molt and grow new feathers in?

Do some hens just not have good feathering genes? Could it be that her fairly severe injury mid-molt somehow stopped the molting and feather growth cycle?

More about her living situation:
She lives in a 10x14 shed with good ventilation and tons of roost space, currently sharing with 7 other chickens and 9 ducks. The shed has been bedded in shavings and straw over the winter and is due for a spring cleanout (ugggh). She eats Poulin Premium Layer pellets, occasional scratch and veggie trimmings, and whatever she finds when free-ranging each afternoon on our 17 acres. She is neither the top hen nor the bottom, somewhere closer to the top than bottom for sure. As I said before, no signs of parasites on her other than the fact that her feathers have either fallen out or broken off on over half her body; she's in good weight; she is bright and alert and sassy.

She also Haaaaaaates being held - always has - so getting any decent photos will be very hard. I'll try to grab some tonight or tomorrow though.
Are you feeding your chickens apple cores with seeds still in them? One of my hens died from poisoning from the stuff in apple seeds and before hand she spent a couple years pretty much featherless. Ofc I didnt know they were poison and the other hens were fine but it is a possibility that her food could be bad. Have you tried a steroid spray to help her regrow her feathers?

Hmm, no, no one's had apples in at least four months. We did have them under an apple tree last summer though, so I'm sure many apples with seeds were eaten at some point.I'm sorry to hear about your hen though!

The more I think on this, I believe what happened is she began her molt in November, was injured in January, and has since then spent all her energy healing from that rather serious injury. And because she's hatchery/production bred, she's not taken even one day's break from laying, which can't be helping. I believe if I keep her in the Eglu, where I can make sure she's eating plenty of protein, I ought to see some improvement. She's still losing feathers so I'm hopeful that maybe her molt is back on track (her tail now has just one sad feather, as compared to these photos from a couple days ago).

She gets really red when out in the sun, so I'm going to have to keep her under shade anyways until she has some feathers.

20230421_092829.jpg

20230422_162104.jpg

You would have to feed apple seeds pretty heavily for them to poison a bird.

Odds are her energy went into healing, since muscle and skin also take a lot of protien (and other things too, just not sure what else exactly).

She should be kept where she can get out of the sun, it wouldn't be fun for her to get sunburned in those spots

Thanks! I've got a nice shade for the Eglu. She's sad to be away from the main flock, even with a pal, but I'm hoping it's just for a short while longer. I wish she was more cooperative about wearing a saddle with wing covers, but she acts like she's got a lead jacket on, walks sideways, falls over, can't roost. She does better with a regular saddle but she's a crafty girl and takes it off when she feels she's had enough.

Thanks! I've got a nice shade for the Eglu. She's sad to be away from the main flock, even with a pal, but I'm hoping it's just for a short while longer. I wish she was more cooperative about wearing a saddle with wing covers, but she acts like she's got a lead jacket on, walks sideways, falls over, can't roost. She does better with a regular saddle but she's a crafty girl and takes it off when she feels she's had enough.
These are my favorite saddles. They're a stiff canvas and curl under the chicken's wings so the middle rests slightly above the back feathers, so there's some air flow under them on the chicken's backs.

My girls aren't a fan of them but no one's been able to get them off yet, and they've tried. I've seen feather re-growth underneath them. I love how adjustable and durable they are. These things will never stop doing their job.

https://www.amazon.com/DOWN-UNDER-OUTDOORS-Adjustable-Accessories/dp/B089GJZL2G?th=1

These are my favorite saddles. They're a stiff canvas and curl under the chicken's wings so the middle rests slightly above the back feathers, so there's some air flow under them on the chicken's backs.

My girls aren't a fan of them but no one's been able to get them off yet, and they've tried. I've seen feather re-growth underneath them. I love how adjustable and durable they are. These things will never stop doing their job.

https://www.amazon.com/DOWN-UNDER-OUTDOORS-Adjustable-Accessories/dp/B089GJZL2G?th=1
These look great! Ordering some now :) My current boy is a lot easier on the girls than his predecessor, who was the biggest Orpington I'd ever seen (and only 8 months old!) - but the damage still accumulates even on the well-feathered hens. And this looks like a perfect solution for poor Blaze.

These look great! Ordering some now :) My current boy is a lot easier on the girls than his predecessor, who was the biggest Orpington I'd ever seen (and only 8 months old!) - but the damage still accumulates even on the well-feathered hens. And this looks like a perfect solution for poor Blaze.
Very please with how these have helped us. Glad to share. :)

Back
Top Bottom