Fairfax County, VA

Quote:
Hello Madouglas!

From what I've gathered calling around, only a Board of Supervisor member can propose to change the ordinance. So, I have just finished a letter to the Lee District supervisor asking him to consider proposing to change the ordinance. I am not sure what district you are in, but I'm sure a letter to your supervisor wouldn't hurt. I am trying to assemble a group of people interested in helping in case we need more support and I am up to 8.
smile.png
It's small but it's a start. Please e-mail me if you're interested or would like a copy of my letter as an example.

FWIW, with 32 chickens = one bird unit (the amount allowed per acre) the math works out to 14 (let's ignore the .08) on the .44 acre lot of the OP.

I would think that a petition allowing a smaller number on single family residential lots that do not meet that standard would go a long way towards getting the code changed--and the more citizens you can get to sign it, the better. You might ask health food stores and the like if you can have someone collecting signatures outside their doors (or even at a table inside).

I am in the process of creating a informational pamphlet (rough draft is ready) and am setting up a website. My goal is to create a sort of online information portal for Fairfax County Chickens / secure online petition. I'll post as soon as it's ready.

I'm in providence. I don't have much time to draft anything, but if there is something that would be a starting place for a letter I would be happy to adapt it to this case.

A few more points about Fairfax County:

Chicks, ducklings, and goslings up to age 2 months are considered commonly accepted pets and are thus allowed on residences of any lot size as an accessory use to residential.

Doves (of any age) are also considered a commonly accepted pets (along with parrots, etc.)

Pigeons are allowed on lots of I think 10,000 sq ft or greater. The intent was to allow for carrier/fancy show pigeon hobbyists.

The county does not address domestic quail (Coturnix coturnix). They are similar in size to pigeons, smaller than chickens, so perhaps should be allowed on similar lots.

Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries has jurisdiction over game species. Specifically, you can get a $12 permit to raise Bobwhite quail. However, it is unclear whether Fairfax trumps this via their prohibition of "wild or exotic animals."

I am in favor of getting an ordinance to allow some birds on smaller lots, but without too many additional restrictions. I would suggest:
* no chicken roosters OK--makes sense to minimize noise pollution to neighbors
* chickens or smaller bird species allowed on lots smaller than 2 acres, subject to bird unit maximum or 3 chickens or equivalent, whichever is greater
* more species added to bird units, including peafowl (same as turkeys and geese), and quail (same as pigeons)
* NO permit fee (none is required for 2 acres)
* NO restriction for eggs or meat.

Keep me apprised of any progress.

Something should probably be added about fences or enclosure - when I read the WP article a big negative point seemed to be that chickens were wandering around the neighborhood.

I have just sent off my letter and pamphlet to my Supervisor Jeffrey McKay. You can also send an e-mail to the board at this website:
https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/contact/mailform.aspx?ref=1012

Just let them know we're interested!

If anybody wants copies of the letter or pamphlet please e-mail me. You'll have to change the letter a bit to match your family but it's a start.

i live in newport news virginia and we have 3/4 of an acre.

our city ordinances says:
Sec. 6-2. Location and maintenance of poultry and animal yards.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to maintain in the city any poultry or animal yard within one hundred seventy-five (175) feet of any buildings used for residential purposes, or within two hundred fifty (250) feet of any church or school building; provided, however, that the person maintaining such a yard may do so within one hundred seventy-five (175) feet of such person's own personal residence, and further provided, that this subsection shall not apply to the keeping of pigeons.
(b) For the purpose of this section, the term "poultry or animal yard" shall include every yard, pasture, enclosure, shed or structure used to house:
(1) Live fowl, including in the term "fowl" chickens, ducks, geese and other poultry, except as provided otherwise herein; or
(2) One or more of the following animals: Cattle, horses, sheep, goats or other domestic animals, other than cats or dogs.
(c) Every person maintaining a poultry or animal yard shall keep the same clean and sanitary, and free from all refuse, decaying food and excrement.
(d) Every poultry or animal yard, except when located in an area zoned agricultural under any existing zoning ordinance, shall be adequately enclosed and free from any rodents. The presence of any rodent in any poultry or animal yard shall be prima facie evidence that such yard is maintained in violation of this section.​

Hello... I am new to this site but am looking for guidance on owning a few egg laying hens in my back yard. With the limited research that I have done, It seems that it is illegal for me to have a small pen based on my lot size. I currently live in Reston, so any additional information would be appreciated. If anyone needs assistance in working on changing this law...please let me know. Kind Regards, Adam

Hello -

I just stumbled on this site when I googled livestock in Fairfax County. I also live in Reston. Would be interested in an update on your efforts! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom