Pics

Canadian Wind

Duck Crazy Canuck
Premium Feather Member
Jul 25, 2022
Eastern Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
Inspired by so many other blogs, I decided to make my own. I'll try to update daily.

First, the name. Falling Down Heights. Finally figured out a name for my little homestead. Because I fell down, again. And we live in the mountains.

Today's fall happened when I was giving the ducks their afternoon treat of cracked corn. Weather here in the hills of North Frontenac, On, has been weird and right now it's all muck over ice. You can see where this is going! And where I went! Smack on my butt, and partially into one of the plastic tubs I use as feeders. Oh well, I needed to replace it anyhow.

The ducks didn't even ask if I was okay! (I was, just needed to change my pants)

For those of you who don't know me yet, I'm Chris. I'm Canadian. And I raise Muscovy, a variety of domestic ducks (ie mallard derived), a bunch of bym chickens (plus two cochin bantams and a single, lonely OEGB hen who is all I have left after a fox attack this winter).

I ordered myself some Dark Brahma, more OEGB (Red Pyle and Mille Fleurs) and some Buff Chantecler. Hoping to get them late April or early May.

I also received a new incubator yesterday (MeeF) that I'm testing out with 24 bym chicken eggs, and ordered a Maticoopx. I had really bad luck last year with my Little Giant incubators, and will NEVER use them again!

Anything else you want/need to know about me you can find in my BYC Member's Interview, https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/byc-member-interview-canadian-wind.1591249/ !

I'm probably forgetting stuff and will get to them as I remember. I'm old(er), my memory is swiss cheese!

BUNNIES!!!!!

20240308_121724.jpg

20240308_121731.jpg

20240308_121818.jpg

Last one has the colouring of a California, so hoping she's purebred. She'll go well with my seal-point buck.

Hatch is officially over. Out of the 20 eggs that made it to lockdown, 18 hatched. The one I put an air hole in earlier was not positioned right and died. The other egg just hatched with a bit of assistance. Final egg I'll open up tomorrow to see what went wrong.

Total of 17 chicks, due to the cull of the one with the deformed spine.
5 ducklings.

And I get to do this all over again next week with more duck eggs! :th

Back from the auction and.....

I DIDN'T BUY ANYTHING!

Okay, not exactly right, I bought a chicken for my eldest daughter, and a call duck for my youngest daughter.

AND!!!

My grandson won a pair of SHOW QUALITY AYLESBURY DUCKS!!!

My daughters are now also making plans to purchase Call eggs or ducklings and start breeding them, because all they saw when those went up for bid was the $$$ they could make! :lau

And here my oldest told me I couldn't get Calls. *sigh*

I was amazed at how much some of these went for. Adult pairs of Standard Cochin were selling for $150!!!

Youngest daughter named her Call Duck Norris. 🤦‍♂️

20240316_141947.jpg

And here's my grandson, still totally stunned, with Moon and Star. Oh, his mother also has him wanting to breed them now and sell for lots of $$$. *sigh*

20240316_113913.jpg

The man that had offered them for the kids' draw came over to talk to us afterwards. They are just over a year old. He also wanted to make sure they were going to a good home. He was very happy to hear they were!

Apart from that, I bid on some OEGB but they went for more than I was willing to pay, especially considering I have chicks coming in a month and a half.

I joined the Eastern Ontario Bird Breeders' Association (who were running the auction). There'll be another one in October so I'm going to make sure I have stuff to go into that one.

We all had a great time, and that's the most important thing!

Back
Top Bottom