Farm Stores, Co-OPS vs. Hatcheries

barb s

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2013
Columbia City area
Just wondering what the opinion is on buying from a farm store (tsc, big r, etc.) vs. ordering from a hatchery. Also can anyone tell me if the chicks you buy at the farm stores and co-ops are pure bred. I'm very new at raising chickens and don't know much about it and didn't pay attention to any of the signs posted on the bins. I was only looking at how adorable they all were. Thank you for any help and information.

The feed stores get their chicks from the same hatcheries that everyone else does. Just ask them and they should be able to tell you where they order from.

I buy from the local co-op simply because it costs a little less that way. They buy large numbers and get price breaks and such and usually pass the savings on to the customers. They make their money on the feed and accessories rather than the chicks. I can buy as many or as few as I want as well without worrying about minimums and such.

Ask your feed store where they get their chicks from. My local store orders from Ideal Hatchery and the chicks are good quality. They are also willing to special order for me if I want a breed they normally do not order.

Most hatchery chicks are pure bred unless if intentionally mixed like with sex links. Ameraucanas and Arucuanas are often not true to the breed. They won't be the best representations of the breed, so if you want quality birds I'd look for a breeder.

Back
Top Bottom