"Fart" Eggs?

Apr 30, 2018
Tooele, UT
I have 10 girls in my flock...all will be 1 year old next month.

I chose not to do artificial light over the winter because I wanted to do things naturally and was fine with reduced egg production. I usually got one or two eggs a day but now that we are getting more sunlight, most of my girls are starting back up. Yesterday, I got 7 eggs!

Anyway, over the last two weeks, I gathered 3 "Fart" eggs. My question is...since their little engines are starting back up and since they are only a year old, are "Fart" eggs normal initially and will disappear eventually or is this a health issue that needs attention?

Thank you, everyone!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4777.jpg
    IMG_4777.jpg
    619.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4778.jpg
    IMG_4778.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 2
What's inside those eggs?
Pics might help.
They should go away.

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with new or older layers.

I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

What's inside those eggs?
Pics might help.
They should go away.

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with new or older layers.

I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

I have cracked them open and they are yolkless...just albumin. They are very thick-shelled with the membrane being very thick as well...kind of tough to pull open. The outside shell is gritty with lots of bumps and Yes, they are a little darker. I have given the whites to my little mini schnauzer over her dry food...she loves it! Not much else can be done with them so I put them to good use.

Thank you for the video...good to learn something every day!

Back
Top Bottom