Fatten up a dog

animalbaby4everandalwyz

Songster
10 Years
11 Years
Jan 24, 2009
West Tennessee
I have pitbulls and both of my dogs will not get fat for anything... one of them is about a year and 6 mths old ...and the other one is about 3 or 4 years old ... ive been feeding them gravy train..and alpo... so is there something else i can add in like eggs or something to help them get fat ...please help

Um....why do you want a fat dog? most pitbulls are supposed to be very trim in the belly - especially if they are kept active and healthy. The breed is not meant to be fat - if a pit is fat it either isn't a pit bull or its overfed and unfit.

Gravy train and alpo are full grain based carb and fillers so if they were going to get weighty - that would do it. Eggs are protein and something that would be a good idea to give them as a supplement but it will not 'fatten' them up at all. Feeding bad food in excess with little excercise would do it - just like any dog or person, however you wouldn't want an unhealthy unhappy dog now would you? So leave the dogs as they are - buy a better brand of food if anything that will give them what they need in less food more natural and better for their teeth, coat, body, and even mental/emotional health - healthy bodies make for healthy minds.
wink.png

However on that note what you are feeding them is fine - but I would suggest supplimenting with meats and eggs in small amounts to add protein and natural fats to them.
smile.png

Yeah.... it's unhealthy to make your dogs fat. They should be lean.

If they are underweight - look up SATIN BALLS. They are good to supplement with food to add weight only if needed, but you should see muscle definition on your pits, not fat!

I would take a stool sample in and have them tested for worms and what kind. Then switch foods. Satin balls will help too, but they should be lean, like the other posters said, but not underweight. I am trying to fatten up one of my dogs (not a pit) right now, she had a litter of pups and is having a hard time keeping up with the demand of the pups. She is being fed as much high quality puppy food as she can eat, but they are draining her. Probably because she was not ready to be a mom in the first place, but my six year old was being helpful one morning and let the dogs out for me.
barnie.gif

Our older GSD Jax is too slender. The vet has checked him for parasites and everything else under the sun. He's simply too active (read: never sits still) to put on weight with the amount of food he takes in.
We are feeding him Taste of the Wild and just started supplementing him with satin balls.
We don't want a fat dog, but a dog that has bones you can clearly feel is too thin.

While as a professional handler I do not believe any animal should be fat ... but, if you have an animal whose metabolism is higher than others and they burn off what is taken in ... Chicken livers, bananas & pasta! Great for putting that pound on when needed before the show! I show many sporting & hound breeds that seem to run it off faster than it goes in. Have used this trick for years ... and on the BIS kids too!

I agree with some of the others, though. Check the fecal to make sure there isn't an underlying problem ... and get them on a better dog food than Alpo! It's not one you see advertised around dog shows or field trials! Wouldn't that be a hysterical ad campaign!

woot.gif
Thanks everyone... I dont want them fat either but you could see were they needed to be bigger if that makes sense...i dont want them to look poor i guess is what im trying to say... ive started to feed them a mix of alpo kibbles and bits and scraps...so they look bigish lol... thanks for the help!!!!!

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom