Faverolle Chicks (White and Salmon) - Males or Females?

CityChickenMama

Hatching
6 Years
May 6, 2013
Hello, all!! I have been lurking the BYC community for over a year now when I got my first little flock of hens. After a bad experience with shipping via USPS, I decided to get some locally a few weeks ago...of course, they are straight run, so I am playing the waiting game here. We are not allowed to have roosters inside the city limits of Asheville, so I am hoping to detect them as soon as possible so I can start looking for homes for them.

I thought I'd post some photos on here to see what your thoughts were! Although, from my understanding, I may not necessarily know for sure until they start attempting to crow?

Chick #1...4 1/2 weeks old, White Faverolle. I don't remember my girls getting their wattles this soon, and the comb looks a little rosy to me...boy? I might just be paranoid.

Chick #2...3 weeks old, White Faverolle

Chick #3...3 weeks old, Salmon Faverolle, suspected male?

Chick #4...3 weeks old, Salmon Faverolle...female?? I hope?? lol

Thanks in advance!! Glad to officially be a member of the community!
frow.gif
D.gif

#1 cockerel
#2 pullet
#3 cockerel
#4 likely pullet

Where did you get the whites? Bantam or LF?

#1 cockerel
#2 pullet
#3 cockerel
#4 likely pullet

Where did you get the whites? Bantam or LF?
I would have to agree with that assessment. That first has a much larger comb than the others! And I believe the roosters have more black in them while the hens are more brown. I have some favorelle chicks now that are about five weeks old. I "think" I have one cockerel in them because it's feathers are coming in black while the others are coming in brown??? I will try to share some pics later.

I am also curious about the whites. I didn't know favorelle whites existed. Of course, I am finding all kinds of colors I didn't know existed in various breeds by lurking on BYC.

I would have to agree with that assessment. That first has a much larger comb than the others! And I believe the roosters have more black in them while the hens are more brown. I have some favorelle chicks now that are about five weeks old. I "think" I have one cockerel in them because it's feathers are coming in black while the others are coming in brown??? I will try to share some pics later.

I am also curious about the whites. I didn't know favorelle whites existed. Of course, I am finding all kinds of colors I didn't know existed in various breeds by lurking on BYC.
The whites, both bantam and LF, are almost extinct in the US, which is why I'm wondering where they came from.

I was also thinking male, female, male, female so I feel confident with the confirmations here...thank you! I wanted 2 females, so I picked up 4 in hopes I had a 50-50 chance, so that turned out pretty well. I got the whites from a guy about 20 minutes from my house (I live in Asheville, NC, he is in Canton). His family has been raising chickens for nearly 100 years! I had no idea whites even existed until I went to him for some salmons! Pretty neat!

I ordered ten straight run favs from McMurray's and had one all yellow chick that now at 3 weeks old only has white feathers and looks like your white hen....confused, i started researching...is it possible it's a white faverolle sport? is it rare? I'm in Talent Oregon, anyone nearby to breed with? I'll post pics later today when i get Home...

Back
Top Bottom