Faverolles Thread

Has anyone else introduced Faverolles to other breeds? I've introduced my two to my other two buff Sussex today and they are getting quite badly bullied. They won't stick up for themselves at all! I knew they were a docile breed, but I really don't want to have to keep two seperate flocks permanently.
I have introduced other breeds here. The younger fav pullets tend to get bullied by the more dominant birds. As long as the coop isn't to crowded they should stop fighting after a while. When introducing any new birds there is usually fighting favs or not. I plan to have a mostly Faverolles flock with a few others for colorful eggs next year.

Has anyone else introduced Faverolles to other breeds? I've introduced my two to my other two buff Sussex today and they are getting quite badly bullied. They won't stick up for themselves at all! I knew they were a docile breed, but I really don't want to have to keep two seperate flocks permanently.

Generally speaking Faverolles are best kept in breed specific flocks with their own kind. That said, I have successfully mixed mine with tiny bantams in a free-range situation... but even then you have to be careful.

thanks

i'm worried about the black spots but hopefully they will disappear when they get their true feathers. I think i'll cull them from my breeding flock anyway.
Might be interesting to band them according to markings and normal color to see how they turn out….Then you can also compare feet, build, posture etc as they grow….I wouldn't toss someone who has excellent form but a lil color funky for less form and right color…………...I just had my first glimpse of my first pairings of 3 sets of some youngsters….Though the parents are real nice, the chicks have me thinking about some major changes in pairing. Not what i had expected…...

Might be interesting to band them according to markings and normal color to see how they turn out….Then you can also compare feet, build, posture etc as they grow….I wouldn't toss someone who has excellent form but a lil color funky for less form and right color…………...I just had my first glimpse of my first pairings of 3 sets of some youngsters….Though the parents are real nice, the chicks have me thinking about some major changes in pairing. Not what i had expected…...
ive been watching them and the spotted ones seem more robust than the non spotted. i'll post pics of them when they are at least 1 month old. I've read somewhere that perfect parents have the worst offsprings. i guess their bad genes come out in their progeny.

I have a favorolle in with 3 Cochins, 2 dark Cornish, and a Russian orloff. The Cornish kind of pick on everyone, the favorolles just stays out of their way. It I true they are a docile breed, but you also have to take into account- if this was the first day they were together they need to establish a pecking order

Quote:
I have them in with Brahmas, Cochins, and Orpingtons, and they do get picked on. Although the Faverolles outnumber the others, all of them are below the other breeds in the pecking order, so there is the occasional reminder. But, the other breeds are fairly laid back, so it's not that often, and I have enough space for everyone, and things to keep them occupied.

Keep in mind that hatchery bred Faverolles are going to be a bit tougher than birds bred for proper temperament.

I have them in with Brahmas, Cochins, and Orpingtons, and they do get picked on.  Although the Faverolles outnumber the others, all of them are below the other breeds in the pecking order, so there is the occasional reminder. But, the other breeds are fairly laid back, so it's not that often, and I have enough space for everyone, and things to keep them occupied.  

Back
Top Bottom