Favorite hen ate a screw- Hospital stay

XAshleyX

Songster
Jul 6, 2022
Connecticut
Hi everyone! Not sure if it's the right place to post as it's not an active emergency but we sure did have one.
I noticed on Thursday that my favorite (shhhh) hen Midnight was acting a bit odd. Not entirely too different but she didn't come to me when I brought a tomato out and she was kind of alone. I observed her Friday and noticed the same behaviors. She also wasn't eating much, drinking much, or moving at all really. She sat in the nesting box for like an hour+ so I thought maybe she was egg bound. I gave her an Epsom salt bath and calcium citrate pill as I read here to do. Symptoms did not improve so I brought her to the hospital.
X-ray images that I'll post here when I receive them revealed Midnight ingested a screw, a bead, and a coin!
They kept her overnight, gave her anesthesia and performed an endoscopy to remove the objects, kept her for the next night for observation. And I finally have my midnight home. I'm currently administering "EDTA" directly into her breast tissue twice a day. And then will switch to "DMSA" for one month.
So happy she's home!
The bill was EXPENSIVE. I don't even want to share how expensive, but I couldn't let her die. Anyways just wanted to share and remind everyone to triple check for screws!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2900.jpeg
    IMG_2900.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom