Feather loss - too many roos? Eggs stopping also

speng5

Chirping
Mar 6, 2024
So I originally had started my outdoor pen with 14 birds, 11 hens and 3 roosters. I culled one roo that was the meanest and that left me with 11 hen and 2 roosters. Some of you may have seen I posted a few days ago about getting my first eggs around this time also. For the sake of the timeline my quail were born the last week of February I believe, making them about 7 weeks old last week and going into their 8th week now. I have an idea which of the girls have laid but I cannot be sure of course. Anyway, last week I got 3 eggs in as many days, the last of which being sunday morning. Here we are on wednesday, no eggs this week 🤔

Also worth noting, is I am seeing more feathers on the bottom of my pens. More than just typically fall out it looks like, and these are different feathers. Longer ones it seems. The hens do not seem to be overly stressed and when I handle them they do not have any patchiness or bald spots, no bald heads and no bald backs. But the feathers on the bottom of the pen certainly are coming from somewhere and seem to be increasing in number.

Is it possible that at this age (going into their 8th week) the remaining two roosters (one or both) are becoming markedly more aggressive? I know some breeding/chasing/pecking is tolerable for the hens, and of course is necessary for getting fertile eggs. Would the sudden stoppage of egg production be due to stress of the aggressive roosters? How long before egg laying becomes regularly productive? At 7-8 weeks now the laying was very slight/sporadic to begin with but now is non existent. For background info I am in the upper midwest where hours of sunlight currently are at about 13.5-14 hours a day.

I apologize for throwing out so many questions at once lol but I am hoping someone with more experience (these are my first quail) can offer some advice or input!

Thanks everyone who gave this a read!

It sounds like they're moulting to me! Mine tend to moult in spring and fall, but the spring moult seems to be milder.
Yup... i Agree.. me girls and roos are moulting, aswell as resorting their pekn order... myself got 3 roos and 13 hens... some 6 months some 12 weeks... but the eggs come back after they've felt like they sorted out a safe place to plop one and maybe givem a sand bath in a wicker basket to givem something to rub . longer days are coming but i put out an auto solar light for extended day hours... WINK*

It sounds like they're moulting to me! Mine tend to moult in spring and fall, but the spring moult seems to be milder.

Yup... i Agree.. me girls and roos are moulting, aswell as resorting their pekn order... myself got 3 roos and 13 hens... some 6 months some 12 weeks... but the eggs come back after they've felt like they sorted out a safe place to plop one and maybe givem a sand bath in a wicker basket to givem something to rub . longer days are coming but i put out an auto solar light for extended day hours... WINK*
Thanks for the responses, folks!!

So I’m guess during the moult, egg production ceases? About how long does this process usually take?

Glad to know it isn’t the roos cuz now that they are crowing I love the sound and have grown a little attached…

Grr….glad it isn’t a bigger issue than moulting but man is it annoying my little quail JUST started laying before this :he

Back
Top Bottom