Feather picking after lost companion

Melschen

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2016
We had two blue copper marans, Maude and Margeaux. They were inseperable since they hatched. We lost Maude on Christmas day. Margeaux was depressed and stopped laying for about two weeks after. She seems somewhat improved now, but still quiet and on her own most of the time. Yesterday afternoon I noticed that most of the feathers have been picked out of her neck. Would the other birds be picking on her because she's so subdued? Anything I can do? I'm worried about her.

I have noticed that birds who don't really hang out with the rest of the Flock do get picked on more. Im not sure what you can do to help, usually after a while they will start hanging out with the Flock more and more after a while

Loss of a flock member can cause pecking order changes.

That looks like new feathers growing in....so could be a partial molt.
How old is she?
Have you seen the other birds pecking at her?

She's about 10 months old and those are feather shafts. There are lots of half gray feathers in the run. No, I didn't catch anyone doing it, but she was fine for the morning free range and then they were gone in the afternoon.

She's about 10 months old and those are feather shafts. There are lots of half gray feathers in the run. No, I didn't catch anyone doing it, but she was fine for the morning free range and then they were gone in the afternoon.
Neck molt...I have a couple 10 months olds doing that right now, looks like they are wearing spike collars-haha!
Google pin feathers.

No ducks and just one roo for the 15 hens, so he's not been an issue. Never heard of a neck molt or molting at all so early. Learn something new and I sure hope that's what it is.

Last edited:
No ducks and just one roo for the 15 hens, so he's not been an issue. Never heard of a neck molt or molting at all so early. Learn something new and I sure hope that's what it is.
Yep, they can molt before the 'usual' 18 months.
Have had several doing it this year and in the past.
Also read of many others.
It's often a partial molt or just the neck rather than the whole body.

Back
Top Bottom