Feather Picking in Juvenile Pullet

fiddleleaffarm

Chirping
May 4, 2023
I have a young Welsummer, about 3 months old. I got her around 6-weeks from a hatchery and she came with a couple of bald spots on her sides. She adjusted well and is really sweet and curious. However, she has continued to pluck her feathers on her back and she is bald and has had a couple of bloody spots. My other olive egger that came with her definitely pecks at her a bit, but the Welsummer pushes her off. It’s mostly self-pecking at this point.

I bought a saddle for her but it’s too big. I have been spraying Vetericyn and using Rooster Booster Pick No More lotion. I’ve used some quick-stop dust on feathers I’ve seen bleeding. The lotion seems to really bother her, she gets stressed when I put it on and paces a lot and seems to still peck (but less). Have also used HydroHen in their water as directed.

The two of them are in a 66sqft run with lots of perches and a few toys. Flooring is sand with First Saturday Lime. Run and coop cleaned every day or every other day. They have clean water and food. They generally seem comfortable, but I feel like the Welsummer is stressed and that’s why she’s plucking!! I don’t think it’s a protein deficiency because they are on starter/grower feed.

So, I’m wondering what I can do to help break the habit of pecking. Wait until she gets more settled in her new space? Continue the lotion/spray? Add more toys/entertainment in the run? Try another saddle? Increase protein? Other ideas? Added a few photos. The second one is when I first got her. Others are more recent. I feel like she has plucked some of the newer ones that were coming in in this photo. Help!!
4D498E85-E01D-4018-BBC1-0F21929BAEDE.jpeg

Attachments

• C18B3629-FAA2-470F-AE43-8F43E6E230F2.jpeg
    C18B3629-FAA2-470F-AE43-8F43E6E230F2.jpeg
    622.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 57AE73DF-2623-4087-BE6D-329563B2968B.jpeg
    57AE73DF-2623-4087-BE6D-329563B2968B.jpeg
    951.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 4698540F-49BC-42CC-A6E7-4452CD3A4DE3.jpeg
    4698540F-49BC-42CC-A6E7-4452CD3A4DE3.jpeg
    557.3 KB · Views: 6
Do you ever see them dust bath?

I'd be inclined to treat her with Ivermectin. Pour on dose is 0.09ml per pound of weight applied to the base of the neck along the spine, it needs to come into contact with the skin. Repeat in 10-14 days.

Giving a direct dose of poultry vitamins 3-4X a week or so probably wouldn't hurt either. Poultry Cell is a good choice, direct dose is 1cc per 3lb of weight given orally.

What %protein is the starter/grower?

Do you ever see them dust bath?

I'd be inclined to treat her with Ivermectin. Pour on dose is 0.09ml per pound of weight applied to the base of the neck along the spine, it needs to come into contact with the skin. Repeat in 10-14 days.

Giving a direct dose of poultry vitamins 3-4X a week or so probably wouldn't hurt either. Poultry Cell is a good choice, direct dose is 1cc per 3lb of weight given orally.

What %protein is the starter/grower?
Thanks for this feedback!! I wondered if I should do some kind of treatment. I have Ivermectin and Poultry Cell so can start that.

I have actually not seen them dust bathe, but I’ve seen them kind of laying in the sand so I have wondered if they do it a bit here and there. But chickens I had in the past were constantly dust bathing in the sand, so it feels like these two are doing it less.

The feed is 18%, do you think that’s sufficient? I know growing feathers requires a lot of protein.

Thanks for this feedback!! I wondered if I should do some kind of treatment. I have Ivermectin and Poultry Cell so can start that.

I have actually not seen them dust bathe, but I’ve seen them kind of laying in the sand so I have wondered if they do it a bit here and there. But chickens I had in the past were constantly dust bathing in the sand, so it feels like these two are doing it less.

The feed is 18%, do you think that’s sufficient? I know growing feathers requires a lot of protein.
I had wondered about the dust bathing.
You mentioned their run was a mix of sand and lime. You may want to consider giving them some dirt. Peat most in a tote or litter box - see if they will be interested in that.

I had wondered about the dust bathing.
You mentioned their run was a mix of sand and lime. You may want to consider giving them some dirt. Peat most in a tote or litter box - see if they will be interested in that.
Just wanted to thank you again for your advice!! They absolutely love the peat moss and have been dust bathing in that! I did Ivermectin and Poultry Cell too and am already seeing a difference in just a couple days. :)

Back
Top Bottom