Feathered leg genetics question....

Hippiefrog

Songster
Aug 17, 2020
Central Virginia
Last year, our broody hatched two pullets that were from a Welsummer rooster and EE Hen(lays spearmint colored eggs). I was aiming for olive eggers, which was successful. Recently, I had another broody, hatch three chicks from one of those two OE crossed with the same Welsummer rooster. I am hoping for pullets that lay even deeper olive eggs(I think that's how it works).The chicks are now five days old and one of the three, has lightly feathered legs(same chick in both pics, just different lighting and darker pic is the more accurate coloring). Our EE hen doesn't have feathered legs and neither do either of her offspring(see pic). And obviously the Welsummer doesn't possess feathered legs either. I've tried researching but my head is spinning now. From what I read, there isn't a recessive feathered leg gene except in a rare breed called a Pavlov? Is this inaccurate or am I maybe misinterpreting it? I know it's hard to trace back genetics for an EE but, I would think this feathered leg gene might narrow it down some. Any thoughts on where this gene would come from in an EE? How can I calculate the odds of breeding another chick, using the same EE or OE hens with the feathered leg gene and using a rooster without it? Ive played around with the chicken genetics calculator but didn't see options for that specific gene but,, I'm still trying to figure that site out. Lol Sorry for so many questions, I'm really curious and would love more feathered legged chicks. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20210530_100915~2.jpg
    20210530_100915~2.jpg
    718.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Huh, that is odd. Feather legged is dominant (apart from maybe the Pavlov, not sure there) so I would wonder if it's just a mutation like rumplessness in leghorns
I didn't think about a possible mutation. Maybe that's what it is. If so, I probably wouldn't want to pass it along to a future generation, I'm assuming.

I've had feathered legs pop up in my Orpingtons, but they went away.
Aww that's a bummer. I didn't even know that could happen. Lol I hope this chicks feathery legs stick around, they really are quite cute.

I didn't think about a possible mutation. Maybe that's what it is. If so, I probably wouldn't want to pass it along to a future generation, I'm assuming.

Aww that's a bummer. I didn't even know that could happen. Lol I hope this chicks feathery legs stick around, they really are quite cute.
Orpingtons have Cochin in their ancestry, so having something like this pop up, is interesting.

It's not a harmful mutation. Since they're olive eggers, if you wanted them to have the feathered legs it would be fine to breed

It's not a harmful mutation. Since they're olive eggers, if you wanted them to have the feathered legs it would be fine to breed
X2
I'm guessing a spontaneous mutation. If recessive it would have to come from both parents, which are unrelated, so that's somewhat unlikely. You should breed it to see if it's dominant or not.

Most definitely planning to breed then. Should be interesting, I'm kind of excited lol. I'll make sure to remember to update this post when he/she is old enough to breed and we have chicks. Thanks 😀

Huh, that is odd. Feather legged is dominant (apart from maybe the Pavlov, not sure there) so I would wonder if it's just a mutation like rumplessness in leghorns
There are at least four genes for feather-legged. two for feathers on the shanks only, one of which causes crow wings as in Sultans, one for feathers on the shanks and toes, and one for long feathers. Most feather-legged birds have at least two of these. Some such as Cochin have three. This could be a mutation (a fifth gene for feather-legged) or could be a repressed gene that had been present, but because of the cros,s came to the forefront.

Back
Top Bottom