Feed Question?

MommyGirl

Crowing
Jul 10, 2020
Georgia
Hello all! I’ve seen people on here say to check feed for date made. But my question is how old is too old of feed? My tractor supply varies sometimes from a couple of months to 6 to 8 months sometimes. Is that too old?

For me, 3 months old is too old, considering how I buy enough to last about one month. I get layer pellets from my local feed mill, and it's always pretty fresh. The Nutrena Meatbird crumbles I get from TSC is another story - apparently, that product doesn't sell as fast for them, so there's always a mix of dates, and I do dig down to find the freshest for my flock :)

My tractor supply never has very many bags of what I feed so you think it would be newer unless they have it in the back and only put it out as it gets bought but sometimes it’s 6 to 8 months old but I never get it that old!

My tractor supply never has very many bags of what I feed so you think it would be newer unless they have it in the back and only put it out as it gets bought but sometimes it’s 6 to 8 months old but I never get it that old!
What do you use? Have you compared another brands of similar formulation for better dates?

When my preferred is not available, I look for the best combination of protein, freshness, and price.

What do you use? Have you compared another brands of similar formulation for better dates?

When my preferred is not available, I look for the best combination of protein, freshness, and price.
Yes that’s what I do too! I feed the Nutrena all flock mostly if it’s not fresh I will either get the feather fixer or flock raiser

Back
Top Bottom