Feed question?

cajunboy74

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
South Louisiana
I have been lurking here for a few months and just decided to sign up. I raise cortunix quail, ducks, and show rabbits (mini lops).
I have been feeding my quail 30% purina starter/grower until they get about 4 weeks old then have been switching to lonestar layer crumbles at that point which is 20%. Does this sound about right? Looks like some posting on here stay with the starter the whole time? Also if my feed doesn't say non medicated what do I need o look for on the label to see if it is? My feeds don't say whether it is medicated or not?

Thanks so much

Most say stay with the purina 30 % starter, as JJ says "from hatch to dispatch". Thats what I do. If it lists "quail" on the sewn on label, I think your good. I cant remember right off what the "medication" is called on the label. There are more than a few here, that feed medicated game bird starter without ill effect. Bill

Last edited:
I stay with the 30% GBS from hatch to dispatch...As recommended
wink.png

If you really want to switch up their feed, coturnix can live perfectly well on any game bird feed. They just do better on GBS...IMHO.

A 50# bag of any of the Purina mills game bird feed costs me the same $17, so it is pointless for me to switch.

On a side note: I don't raise ducks and would never make feed recommendations for ducks, but the folks I know, do feed their ducklings GBS as well. Just something to think about. One feed store trip, one type of feed, and everybody eats.

On a convenience note: I have 4 year old, to just hatched coturnix, and they all eat from the same bag of feed. That's just swell for me
smile.png

Thanks for all of your opinions. You are right it is alot easier to feed one type of feed, keeps you from running out of one type at a bad time. I used to feed my rabbits all different kinds of feed and one day I decided it was too much trouble and just stuck with one type also.

I have a flock of Coturnix that I keep for laying eggs. I used to feed Purena Game Bird Layena and they did really well, but then I switched to Purina's Flock Raiser as its good for multiple species. I have found it to work just as well and my birds remain healthy and continue to lay quality eggs. Both feeds have 20% protein which is good for adult coturnix (growing birds need more protein; 27-30%) and also has high levels of vitamins/minerals for egg production. I supplement with dried meal worms for treats along with wild bird seed, cucumbers, zucchini, apples and grass/weeds from the lawn.

you keep your birds outside they will Stay a lot healthier on GBS if you raise them for meat GBS if you keep them for eggs more eggs on GBS lol like the man says your dime your birds pays yo money and take your chances LOL

Ga.chickenman :

Does 4 year old quail have little white beards ????
old.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Yes they do. Well, not beards per-say because my dino-birds are usually hens, because coturnix hens are pretty much cougars and will burn out a roo in 2 years or less. My oldest brown hens do get some very white feathers around their head, later in life.​

If your feed is medicated, it has to state that on the tag. Usually it is right up top, listed by itself as "active drug ingredient". Common GBS medications are amprolium, deccox, etc.
And yes, you can feed ducklings GBS also, but you don't want to do so if your particular type of feed is medicated - ducks can't handle those medications.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom