feedback on coop idea......

carousel

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 31, 2008
NW Oregon
I'm looking at building a new coop YES when I built my shabby coop 2 yrs ago I had 3 pullets LOL

I have a "space" issue to work with.
I have though about sheds, but they really don't work well for my space unless I get a 4x8 shed. I really want a bit more space than that. So when talking to a friend he said, lets just build it 4x12!
I want it sitting 2' off the ground, I don't want it taller than my fence 6.5' is the fence. I will use dog run kennel panels for the run. and then use hardware cloth to enclose the area under the coop.
I got the idea from these coops
this one is the closest to what I'm thinking about in design except the indoor elevated enclosed area would be 4x12'
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=3829

and this one if it were not attached to building and was up off the ground.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=4065-Chicken_Coop

I talked to another friend this morning and she told it me would be a pain to build a 4x12' coop mostly I think because of needing 12' 2x4s for framing.

I know that 6x8 would be easier, but as I said, I have space for long skinny coop on my side yard. I will have at least 175sf of outside yard not including the 48' under the coop for the girls.

thoughts?
thanks,

I , personally, like the coops that are higher off the ground. It provides them with some shelter without having to pile into the house. Even if you made it 4X12 and 1 1/2 to 2 feet off the ground, if you made it low and wide,like in the second link, that would work.

as with decks, garages and cold storage.....,,go as large as you have room for and can afford..

If your pen is not full of chickens, you can use the excess for feed or equipment storage..

Sounds like a really good plan to me.

I'd put it on posts set well into the ground, not just on those footer blocks they sell, b/c something that tall and long and narrow has a certain tippability -- you want to make sure it doesn't fulfill its potential in that regard
smile.png
On well set posts tho it should not be a problem, esp. in a sheltered area.

What's the big deal about needing 12 footers? They are a normal size, perfectly easy to buy and not too long to strap onto the top of any car with a roof rack (assuming you do not have too far to travel or at too high speeds). No biggie at all. Make sure you space your posts so that you ONLY need 12 footers, unless you want to be transporting even longer lumber and cutting it down -- that means the distance between the posts and one end and the posts at the other end needs to be *less than* 12'. Do the calculations based on what particular siding etc you will be putting on. It is extremely irksome to have your lumber turn out to be 2" too short for the span
tongue.png

Have fun!
smile.png

Pat

awesome Pat!
and I have looked at your page, the coop will have GREAT ventilation!
LOL my girls have a 3 sided coop right now LOL and they have done FINE.

Back
Top Bottom