Feeding chicken meat?!

I was thinking about giving my girls some Purina Dog Chow as a protein boost treat last night, but stopped after I saw it had "poultry by-product meal" in it. So is that safe to feed as a treat? Thanks>
big_smile.png

I usually throw deer legs out to the birds when I'm done (after I cut off the meat). They clean the meat off within 2-3 days.

I also feed them pinky mice and what not.
THEY LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE pinky mice!
I don't feed them live ones, but you can get frozen pinky mice online for pretty darn cheap and they RELISH it!

You guys should try it sometimes.

Actually, I have a friend who had 6000 frozen pinkies (he raises them the humane and correct way) so if anyone is interested in any pinkies
wink.png
they're $50 for 100 pinkies!

My gals had their very own special Thanksgiving devouring two very large turkey carcasses and I have NEVER seen a skeleton picked soooo thoroughly clean!!!
yippiechickie.gif

I'm learning more about chickens everyday, thanks to this forum. I see our hens as omnivores: they eat almost anything edible. I try to stay within the guidelines of the great "treat" thread found on this BYC forum, but I'm venturing beyond, seeing my hens thrive while eating many different foods, including--yes--chicken, picking turkey and chicken carcasses clean of any possible nibbles. This week I had roasted a large pork Boston butt, and after four meals, we were all a little weary of it. Not wanting to freeze it after the time that had elapsed since the original roasting, I set a generous pan of the pulled pork and its gravy out in the chicken yard. They pecked and nibbled and flipped and ran off with morsels until nothing was left but the pan. Yes, they relish meats and other forms of protein. I don't bat an eye about feeding chicken back to them. ~G

I feed my hens whatever is in the cupboard and fridge that we dont end up eating. Im careful not to throw them anything thats moldy. Also if you have dogs make sure they arent out if your hens are loose with kitchen scraps. I made that mistake and my Golden Retriever stole them and the rooster tried to attack him. Whoops!

My hens eat meat all the time. From chicken wings, to beef rib leftovers, to most of a pig leftover from a BBQ, they LOVE meat!

The pen looks like an archaeology exhibit afterward though, with bones, skulls, ribs strewn about the place.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom