feeding open source or timed

Different situations call for different measures. The OP stated that no problems were experienced, so. Great.

We get posts here on BYC almost everyday with backyard oriented issues. Rats, mice, chipmunks over running the coop and eating/stealing a huge portion of the feed. Solutions often recommended are removing the feeder each evening to at least cut down on the nocturnal rodent issue. Mac in Wisconsin can probably shut off his chain drive, I would guess, and cease feed delivery on his conveyor.

Feeding a portion in the morning, and a portion again at noon and then looking to see if the feeder is empty or nearly so at night has the potential for not providing feed for the furry nocturnal visitors, while still satisfying the feeding needs of the birds . Not as slick as having a conveyor system on a timer, and it does require more trips to the coop, but many backyarders feel the need to employ some variation on this theme. With full time jobs, other folks have limited options available to them.

Simply feeding a large feeder and leaving feed out, night and day, for 4 or 5 days hasn't always worked well for everyone in every situation.

The advantages of precision feeding is control of what they eat and how much..., like i with-hold milk until my children choke down half their supper.
The advantages of free-choice with water and grains is that they never get thirsty, hungry, whatever. I leave veg and fruits out for my family in the hopes that at least I will fill up on nourishing foods instead of cake.
I leave the chooks to eat what they want, when they want. This way the lower ranking females do not forgo meals because my chicken mafia is guarding the feeder.
I suggest water and scratch free-choice and treats when you want them to come to you.

Good suggestion Lupa... I have some hens that are just a few weeks younger than the rest of the flock. When they are inside the coop they almost never get off the roost to eat... but I noticed at evening time they wait for the older chickens to get on the roost and they hit the feeder/water. If it had been rationed they they would be outta luck.

I've been thinking about this very issue. My problem is all the sparrows. I'm doing away with the feeder and started feeding my girls twice a day by throwing the feed and treats directly in the run. My reasoning is that they will turn the litter better and give them an activity. Also, by having to visit the coop more often, it helps me to keep a closer eye on their well being. A bag of Layena Pellets is up to $22 a bag before tax here now. I'm still experimenting, but sometimes keeping chickens happy might have to giving them something to strive for. I'll keep the feed bin just in case.

I feed just before dark--throw it on the ground--give them just what they cleen up--by feeding late evening -it makes them hustle all day-they know what they need and get it naturally

We just started raising chickens this last summer after not being directly around livestock for 50 years. When I was a kid my grandparents had chickens. They had feed trays out all day and filled daily but I remember my grandmother would take out food scraps twice a day they always had healthy happy and friendly birds.

So I follow what my grandparents did. My birds are not “Free Range”, they live in a 8ft x 8ft coop with an attached 40ft x 8ft. when I take the scraps out I always go to the far end of the run. They are usually waiting and if I’m late they are very boisterous and animated in calling me.

I’m very lucky in having a daughter and son-in-law who own and operate a lucrative Produce store so I get all kind of produce that is not sold for human consumption.

I've thought about this. I have one feeder (3lbs) and some days between my six chickens they will eat all 3lbs and other days they will eat half of it, etc. So now do you make sure all the chickens get what they need? Also mine don't free range. Does that mean I shouldn't do timed feedings?

Everyone’s situation is a little different as to how the time is spent with their birds. My birds are all the same age and all get the same foods. They do have their pecking order but other than that they eat all they need. I put out grit and oyster shell for them and have seen all of them at it at different times. Until I have a problem I simply let them do their own timing.

Back
Top Bottom