Feeding quail, thoughts and opinions?

UrbanHomesteadTX

Songster
Mar 6, 2024
North Texas
Finally made the leap and bought my first Coturnix quail!

However, this has so far already proven to be more of a challenge than the chickens were! The internet is loaded with such varied information on quail needs, it's a little difficult to figure out what's right. Everything from incubating humidity to my current issue... feed.

Yes, yes, don't remind me about the fact I'm underprepared, it's been a busy few weeks. Anyways, the realization hit me at how old my quail are getting, and that it's time to start taking them off starter and put them on adult or layer feed. Only problem is, none of the local feed stores sell Game Bird Layer, or even just general Game Bird Feed. I can only find 30% Game Starter and 14% Game Maintenance. I knew Game Maintenance wouldn't be right for my birds, as it has and even lower percentage of protein than my chicken feed does, and one thing I remembered was quail had a need for higher protein.

Research, research, research. My conclusion, there's way to many different opinions and approaches to specific needs. But, I found a couple of articles on using a mix of chicken layer feed and game bird starter to achieve the desired needs. I've also seen where some people keep them on Starter Feed with calcium supplementing on the side in the form of Oyster Shell or Egg shell. And then looked at some factual data supplied Mississippi State University on nutritional needs. The main consensus I came up with for layers was the need for 18-24% protein, and somewhere around the 2.50% mark for calcium.

So, now I want to get some opinions on this. I'd rather not to have feed shipped, mainly for the cost and irritation of it, so I thought about trying to do a mix of Chicken and Game feed. Initially I thought about mixing 16% Chicken Layer Crumbles with 30% Game Starter feed in order to hit that in-between mark of protein and calcium. But, seeing as how I intend to breed them, so there will be males eating the same feed. I know its probably in his best interest to not get overdosed with Calcium, so I also thought about using 20% Chick Starter Feed as the main feed and supplementing calcium. And I already have plenty of Chick Starter as opposed to having to buy Layer Crumbles (I only buy pellets)

From what I've been researching, and for what I've been able to find, the healthy nutritional range for quail feed is 18-24% Protein, around 2.50% Calcium, .65% Phosphorous, .45-.9% Methionine (Numbers from MSU)
My Chick Starter Feed is 20% Protein, .55% minimum Phosphorous, 0.30% minimum Methionine.

Or should I go the Game Maintenance Route and have to supplement both Calcium and Protein?

Thoughts about going any of these routes?

Here is an article I wrote on feeding your quail. It tells you what to look for in your feed rather than recommending specific brands.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/what-to-feed-your-quail.79205/

I would see if you can find a good game bird feed, and if you can't find that, you might find an all flock feed that will meet your needs. You will probably need to provide calcium on the side in the form of oyster or egg shell. The quail will eat what they need.

Thank you! I'll read through it!
I was unable to find any Game Bird Feed with the exception of 14% Gamebird Maintenance, and the All Flock feed I've found locally is only 16%, which is my main reason for looking for alternatives in Chicken Layer x Game Starter mix and/or Chick Starter with calcium supplementation.

And thank you for writing an article on feed requirements rather than brand recommendations! Perhaps one of the most frustrating parts of my research was coming across all the articles that just told you what brands to by. Doesn't help me much if I cant even find the feed to start with. Lol

I was having the same issue and looking at shipping purina layer feed from tractor supply but then found a high protein chicken layer feed (21 percent protein) at the same local chain that sells the purina game starter but not the layer. I can buy it locally and it as half the price of shipped feed. Have you checked with the order guy at your local coop or elevator? I could order certain turkey feeds in 50 pound bags while others were a minimum of 2 tons (for two dozen quail!). I didn’t order from him because they could only get medicated feed in small bags but it may be worth a shot. And maybe check your local tractor supply, some stock purina layer in store.

I was having the same issue and looking at shipping purina layer feed from tractor supply but then found a high protein chicken layer feed (21 percent protein) at the same local chain that sells the purina game starter but not the layer. I can buy it locally and it as half the price of shipped feed. Have you checked with the order guy at your local coop or elevator? I could order certain turkey feeds in 50 pound bags while others were a minimum of 2 tons (for two dozen quail!). I didn’t order from him because they could only get medicated feed in small bags but it may be worth a shot. And maybe check your local tractor supply, some stock purina layer in store.
Sounds like you found a pretty good deal! I checked tractor supply and the local feed stores that are in reasonable distance. I'll probably go back to the feed stores to check for high protein chicken layer feed, or ask if they know any other places to check out. Tractor Supply only had layer feed up to 16% as well. I did talk to a guy there, said they used to have Game Feed, but stopped carrying it at that particular store recently 😂 Just my luck, right?

The nearest one with layer feed was 150 miles away, they wanted 11.99 to ship to store or to my house, I’d still have to drive 90 miles to get to the nearest store so obviously if I had needed the shipped feed I’d just get it shipped there. I also talked to the feed guy at another local chain (they carry starter and maintenance but not layer) and they said corporate ordered their feed so they couldn’t order any layer in for me. Maybe check chewie.com too, they have some turkey/game bird options.

Sounds like you found a pretty good deal! I checked tractor supply and the local feed stores that are in reasonable distance. I'll probably go back to the feed stores to check for high protein chicken layer feed, or ask if they know any other places to check out. Tractor Supply only had layer feed up to 16% as well. I did talk to a guy there, said they used to have Game Feed, but stopped carrying it at that particular store recently 😂 Just my luck, right?
Where in North Texas are you? See if you can find Golden Oak feed (https://www.goldenoakmilling.com). In game bird feeds, they have a 28% starter and a 24% grower. Calcium's a bit low, but I supplement with oyster and egg shell. Methionine is also on the low side. I'm not sure how to improve that, though. The mill is in DeLeon, TX and they have dealers all over North Texas. I buy mine in Alvarado. The starter is a little over $20/50 pounds and the grower is a little less than $20/50 pounds.

Where in North Texas are you? See if you can find Golden Oak feed (https://www.goldenoakmilling.com). In game bird feeds, they have a 28% starter and a 24% grower. Calcium's a bit low, but I supplement with oyster and egg shell. Methionine is also on the low side. I'm not sure how to improve that, though. The mill is in DeLeon, TX and they have dealers all over North Texas. I buy mine in Alvarado. The starter is a little over $20/50 pounds and the grower is a little less than $20/50 pounds.
You can supplement the Methionine with sunflower seeds....adds a little more...also helps make feathers shiny!

Thanks for the info! I'm over east side of DFW, looks like they've got a couple of dealers nearby I'll have to go check out. Thanks for the heads up!

Back
Top Bottom