Feeding Wild Birds

Pics
The cornfield along the right of way to the club has been harvested. This afternoon I counted 48 wild turkeys foraging, and I know that I undercounted. Wild bird population is down at home and at the club far lower than even last year.
There is one wild turkey here. There were two but "something" happened to one of them.

Lower hot wire at the club was out of service, and fox chewed a hole to access the club - that problem has been resolved. Did some wandering around yesterday, and believe that we have a mink problem. Everything that likes to eat chickens likes to eat rabbits. Protection is a continuous challenge.

I haven't been on here for a couple days, but I just saw this and looked it up in the Peterson guide. They are more of a Canadian species but are casual visitors on the Atlantic coast south of Maine. That could be due to the weather now even though they are permanent residents throughout their range. Much like Bald Eagles come much farther down the Mississippi river when the river is covered with ice up north. We get lots of eagles this time of year.
There is also an expanding population in the Appalachians. Did you see it in flight or up close? They are hawklike in flight - alternating flapping and soaring - gliding on flat wings.

I have plenty of birds coming to the feeder. Here is a pair of cardinals in flight.
DSCN0537 (2).JPG

Back
Top Bottom