Feeding Wild Birds

Pics
Where do they bait them? At their roosting sites? And how to they keep from killing other birds?
I don't know where they baited them but the only dead birds I found were starlings.

I suspect secondary deaths because I had 5 magpies here that suddenly disappeared after feeding on the dead starlings.

20240411_081340.jpg

I hate this sort of thing, it does nothing positive for the environment or other bird populations. Disgusting act of ignorance.
The government operates on the "Peter Principle" and ends up with incompetent people making bad decisions.

Starlings have been a problem for decades, probably even a century. I don't know what prompted the decision to start poisoniing them but suspect it had something to do with amoount of harvested grain they were eating in the Dakotas.

The government operates on the "Peter Principle" and ends up with incompetent people making bad decisions.

Starlings have been a problem for decades, probably even a century. I don't know what prompted the decision to start poisoniing them but suspect it had something to do with amoount of harvested grain they were eating in the Dakotas.
Humans have in general made poor decisions about our environment, birds especially. It's a sad situation to which there is no easy remedy. Birds are on the loosing end of the deal too. :(

First grackle of the year showed up today. The female Red-wings shouldn't be far behind.
I was weeding my flower bed the other day and a red wing was completely urinated with me being too close to the feeder 😅 it hopped around in the tree and told me off for a half an hour.

Also.. in bird news. I have a Phoebe trying to build a nest right outside my front door. :rant
I have taken it down 3 times now and it keeps putting it right back.
Dang burd. If it would just pick a spot not directly above the door I'd let it be.

Humans have in general made poor decisions about our environment, birds especially. It's a sad situation to which there is no easy remedy. Birds are on the loosing end of the deal too. :(
The original decisions to import starlings and house sparrows from England were some of their poorer decisions.

I prefer grackles over starlings for sure.
I saw a cowbird the other day.. that one will eat a pellet if it sticks around.
Since moving outside town I've come to appreciate the crows. I didn't see many in town.
There are several that stick around out here and i luv watching them harass the hawks.

Back
Top Bottom