Females? When do they start laying?

Stellasmomma

Songster
May 23, 2022
HI all! I am new to ducks and this spring got two ducklings they are now around 17 weeks old and I believe they are both female, I don't see any drake curl and they are both really loud! LOL can anyone confirm? Also when should they start laying? I have heard different ages so I thought I would ask those with experience thanks!

Attachments

• Dolls.jpg
    Dolls.jpg
    879.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Dolly n Dre.jpg
    Dolly n Dre.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 3
  • dolly2.jpg
    dolly2.jpg
    644 KB · Views: 3
HI all! I am new to ducks and this spring got two ducklings they are now around 17 weeks old and I believe they are both female, I don't see any drake curl and they are both really loud! LOL can anyone confirm? Also when should they start laying? I have heard different ages so I thought I would ask those with experience thanks!
If they both quack they are girls. Ducks usually start laying at 4-5 months old. However, when that age is reached during the fall or winter they may wait until spring to start. I would guess yours might do that. I would look for eggs in late winter (Jan -Feb).

If they both quack they are girls. Ducks usually start laying at 4-5 months old. However, when that age is reached during the fall or winter they may wait until spring to start. I would guess yours might do that. I would look for eggs in late winter (Jan -Feb).
Oh they are loud LOL Dolly the blue runner lets me know when she wants some treats! Dre the white crested is also loud but is a bit more shy Dolly is the leader and these two are very bonded. I am so happy they are girls as they were raised with chickens and I think they believe they are chickens LOL I didnt want to have to separate them (they all free range together) I am so happy I got them they are really fun! Thanks for the input!!!

Thanks! I have heard so many ages I was told 18 weeks then 20 weeks everyone on the board here agrees with you so I am trusting that I have always had good info here!
It was also my very first duck egg and the information here made it possible. These people are all very knowledgeable and helpful it has become the only place I seek for help/advice and so far its been the best decision I could have made

Back
Top Bottom