Oldhallchicks

Songster
Jun 6, 2020
Candling blue eggs and I can’t see a thing inside!

it’s day 7, and there’s no clear veins or embryos, but can’t see much of anything.

here is one that is clearly infertile
72D6F62F-228C-480D-8C8E-DC34E62B89AC.jpeg

and here is what most of the others look like...

47FF172B-DB9A-4688-B8CC-B5F4C0A12C4D.jpeg

Any thoughts from those of you experienced with blue eggs? 🤷‍♀️ 🤔

If you don't see any veins the eggs have died. Your second picture clearly shows that development began, but I see no veining. There is enough light going through the shell to see the veins if they were there.

If you don't see any veins the eggs have died. Your second picture clearly shows that development began, but I see no veining. There is enough light going through the shell to see the veins if they were there.
Thanks for your input. I’ll check them again in a few days and if there’s still nothing will toss them.

Also...how can you tell that development began? I can’t see a blood ring or anything 🤷‍♀️

They may not have begun at all. They may be infertile. But if there aren't any veins by this stage, chances are they aren't alive. Whether they ever were or not. I'd still keep them a couple more days just in case. I've been surprised before. I have a week old chick now that I almost tossed as an egg because I believed it to be infertile.

Also...how can you tell that development began? I can’t see a blood ring or anything 🤷‍♀️
The second egg is much darker and the border between the embryo and the air cell looks to have begun breaking down. The infertle first egg shows no sign of breaking down. Actually, the first egg would be safe to eat. Bon appetit.
When I was a kid, our neighbor ran a hatchery. Being poor, they saved all infertile eggs after candling and used them for household purposes.

And it isn't even just the bacteria....the thought of it too...
Some of my family members have raw eggs in certain things, so definitely wouldn't in our family.

Back
Top Bottom