Few Eggs From Flock

Lemon-Drop

Let Your Light Shine ~ Matthew 5:16 🤍✝️
Mar 5, 2021
Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I’m curious as to what the reasoning for this is. I know it’s winter (although in Washington the winters are very mild) but since late January, I’ve only been getting 3 eggs a day. This seems off to me.
  • I have 21 chickens. 2 are roosters and some are on the older side (about 5/6 years) but the rest are less than one year old to 4 years.
  • They get purina flock raiser with constant access to oyster shell. Occasional treats but not much. Sometimes I give them fodder or alfalfa flakes. Clean water available at all times, of course.
  • I checked the run, no signs of laying elsewhere.
  • I don’t think they’re eating the eggs, and I haven’t seen any other critters that could get to them.
Anyway, any ideas, tips, or recommendations? I’m at a loss of what to do. It’s ok if they aren’t laying a ton, but I appreciate getting more eggs than this (as do my neighbors).

Thanks in advance!

I’m curious as to what the reasoning for this is.
If you don't already know which ones are laying, I'll recommend a vent check. Take them off of the roost and check their vent with a flashlight. If the vent is pink, soft, and moist they are laying. If the vent is tight and dry they are not laying. This will not tell you how many eggs each hen is laying but at least you will know which ones you are dealing with. That might help.

Yours sound like they are old enough to have molted. Some hens can get over the molt in less than two months, others may take as long as five months. Some may not have finished to the point they are back to laying.

Some hens start laying pretty much when they are over the molt, others wait until the days get longer. It is still February, you may not be far enough along with spring for all of them to have cranked back up.

After the second adult molt and every molt after that it is real common for the rate of lay to drop. A 3 year old hen that was laying 5 eggs a week before the molt may only lay 3 or 4 after the molt. A 5 year old that was laying 3 eggs a week may only lay 1 a week after the molt. Each hen is different, some continue to lay well for several years but it sounds like you may be seeing some of this.

I suspect you could be seeing a bit all three of these. I think part of what you are seeing are consequences of an aging flock. You could add lights to make them think spring is further along but I wouldn't. It takes them a while to adjust their body to laying mode. With the days getting longer they'll probably be there about the same time whether you add lights now or not. I don't see anything wrong with the way you are feeding them.

If you don't already know which ones are laying, I'll recommend a vent check. Take them off of the roost and check their vent with a flashlight. If the vent is pink, soft, and moist they are laying. If the vent is tight and dry they are not laying. This will not tell you how many eggs each hen is laying but at least you will know which ones you are dealing with. That might help.

Yours sound like they are old enough to have molted. Some hens can get over the molt in less than two months, others may take as long as five months. Some may not have finished to the point they are back to laying.

Some hens start laying pretty much when they are over the molt, others wait until the days get longer. It is still February, you may not be far enough along with spring for all of them to have cranked back up.

After the second adult molt and every molt after that it is real common for the rate of lay to drop. A 3 year old hen that was laying 5 eggs a week before the molt may only lay 3 or 4 after the molt. A 5 year old that was laying 3 eggs a week may only lay 1 a week after the molt. Each hen is different, some continue to lay well for several years but it sounds like you may be seeing some of this.

I suspect you could be seeing a bit all three of these. I think part of what you are seeing are consequences of an aging flock. You could add lights to make them think spring is further along but I wouldn't. It takes them a while to adjust their body to laying mode. With the days getting longer they'll probably be there about the same time whether you add lights now or not. I don't see anything wrong with the way you are feeding them.
Alright, thank you! I'll do a vent check this evening.

Best egg production is 6 months ~ 2 years, and after that it is less, sometimes considerably less. Count how many birds you have in that age range.

My bird that is going on 4 - has not started laying yet. My older pullet that quit with the winter has not started laying... she is starting to look like a stew pot candidate. The later pullets did not lay before winter, and laying well now.

Those 5 + year old birds may not start laying until May.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom