Fighting + possibly injured chicks

muffin_p

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 25, 2018
Hello! We recently got 10 lavender Orpington chicks. They’re being kept in a large tub from TSC with their heat lamp, food, water, and pine shavings. I noticed two of the chicks picking on all the others, poking the others eyes and not letting go of them. I separated those two and the remaining ones are now calm. Some of the group of chicks eyes are closed now though. 2 of them have both of their eyes closed and 1 chick has just one eye closed. Is this because the meaner ones poked at them? Will they eventually open them on their own or will the chicks with their eyes closed die? They’re all moving around like normal except that the ones with their eyes closed stumble a bit (which I assume is because they can’t see too well) but they still have quite a bit of energy and somewhat drink water still. Any advice or tips?

Also one of the “nicer” chicks ended up dying. I believe the “meaner” ones poked its eyes and I believe he/she got too cold and unfortunately didn’t make it.

they can get bullied to that point, not a lot you can do, try putting a capfull of apple cider vinigar in their water, helps prevent infection. also chances are the bullies are roosters.

1. Give the injured chicks an oral antibiotic.
We did this when a chick got stabbed in the eye with a poorly cut end of hardware cloth (dosed carefully in some yogurt, separate from the others until she ate it). She healed up in a week and grew up without any impairment.
Beaks don't really poke - they stab - so chances are high the chicks with scrunched closed eyes have open wounds.
They should probably be protected from other chicks until they can get around better.

2. It sounds like your brooder may not be big enough for the number / size of chicks you have.

3. If the aggressors continue any similar behavior you may want to remove them from your flock. I like my birds to have happy lives so bullies are not given much slack.

1. Give the injured chicks an oral antibiotic.
We did this when a chick got stabbed in the eye with a poorly cut end of hardware cloth (dosed carefully in some yogurt, separate from the others until she ate it). She healed up in a week and grew up without any impairment.
Beaks don't really poke - they stab - so chances are high the chicks with scrunched closed eyes have open wounds.
They should probably be protected from other chicks until they can get around better.

2. It sounds like your brooder may not be big enough for the number / size of chicks you have.

3. If the aggressors continue any similar behavior you may want to remove them from your flock. I like my birds to have happy lives so bullies are not given much slack.
What kind of antibiotic did you give them and how much did you mix it with what type of yogurt ?

Back
Top Bottom