Dani & Mikey

Songster
Mar 12, 2018
Hartwood, Virginia
:frowHey again BYC friends!
I’ve been here for a few weeks now and am finally posting our intro. Now that we have had our chickens for a few days and are officially chicken parents I felt like now was a good time for sharing so here goes.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
• We are new to chickens! We have always dreamed of it and had lots of friends with them. This year we decided to get on it! They will be pet chickens and spoiled accordingly. :hugs

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
• Our first flock is 7! It was to be six but a lucky mix up has us with an extra bird. Not complaining!

(3) What breeds do you have?
• We have 2 ISA Browns, who are so sweet it hurts! 3 “Americanas”, and 2 Black Jersey Giants. We named them Ethel Mertz, Lucy Ricardo, Sally Rodgers, Gladys Kravitz, Millie Helper, Endora, and Tabitha. 100 cool points to all folks who can name where each chicken got her name. ;) :clap

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
• My friend and chicken mentor suggested it to me. Super thankful for this awesome chicken community!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
•Canning! I follow in my grandparents footsteps and put up as much food as I can get my hands on! Along with that we garden, of course. My husband and I also have a major collection problem! Records, books, vintage glass...you name it - if it’s old we will take it. We collect collections. (It’s not hoarding if it’s a collection!) :idunno

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
• My husband and I have been together about 10 years, married for 5. We moved in with my grandma 5 years ago to help her stay in her home as long as possible. It was hard and heartbreaking in many ways but one of the best things I’ve ever done. I am thankful we were able to give her as much time as possible in the house her husband built for her. Where my mom was raised and I spent so much time. Where all of my Christmases and Thanksgivings were spent. Now, it is our home. I am so thankful to be planting in the same dirt my grandpa did, using grandma’s apple butter recipe, and raising chickens just like they did. :love
We work for a nonprofit in downtown Fredericksburg helping our area homeless. My husband runs a “pay what you can” cafe designed to allow all people, no matter their station, where they sleep at night, or how much money they have in the bank, to come and be treated as a welcomed guest. It’s the best things I’ve ever been apart of. :wee
Life is wonderful and I truly believe love is the answer to all of life’s questions! :jumpy:bun

:welcome
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.
Bewitched!!
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

:frowHey again BYC friends!
I’ve been here for a few weeks now and am finally posting our intro. Now that we have had our chickens for a few days and are officially chicken parents I felt like now was a good time for sharing so here goes.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
• We are new to chickens! We have always dreamed of it and had lots of friends with them. This year we decided to get on it! They will be pet chickens and spoiled accordingly. :hugs

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
• Our first flock is 7! It was to be six but a lucky mix up has us with an extra bird. Not complaining!

(3) What breeds do you have?
• We have 2 ISA Browns, who are so sweet it hurts! 3 “Americanas”, and 2 Black Jersey Giants. We named them Ethel Mertz, Lucy Ricardo, Sally Rodgers, Gladys Kravitz, Millie Helper, Endora, and Tabitha. 100 cool points to all folks who can name where each chicken got her name. ;) :clap

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
• My friend and chicken mentor suggested it to me. Super thankful for this awesome chicken community!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
•Canning! I follow in my grandparents footsteps and put up as much food as I can get my hands on! Along with that we garden, of course. My husband and I also have a major collection problem! Records, books, vintage glass...you name it - if it’s old we will take it. We collect collections. (It’s not hoarding if it’s a collection!) :idunno

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
• My husband and I have been together about 10 years, married for 5. We moved in with my grandma 5 years ago to help her stay in her home as long as possible. It was hard and heartbreaking in many ways but one of the best things I’ve ever done. I am thankful we were able to give her as much time as possible in the house her husband built for her. Where my mom was raised and I spent so much time. Where all of my Christmases and Thanksgivings were spent. Now, it is our home. I am so thankful to be planting in the same dirt my grandpa did, using grandma’s apple butter recipe, and raising chickens just like they did. :love
We work for a nonprofit in downtown Fredericksburg helping our area homeless. My husband runs a “pay what you can” cafe designed to allow all people, no matter their station, where they sleep at night, or how much money they have in the bank, to come and be treated as a welcomed guest. It’s the best things I’ve ever been apart of. :wee
Life is wonderful and I truly believe love is the answer to all of life’s questions! :jumpy:bun
Sally Rogers? Hmmm. The rest are gimmes. :pop

Welcome!! I hope you have so much fun with your new "family members"!

We are very much into "theme" names here too! We had a Maryanne and Ginger (They're both still alive, but I say "had" because my daughter started calling Ginger "Pancake" -whatever - but the duo was broken up!)
Currently we are on a superhero kick...

Welcome!! I hope you have so much fun with your new "family members"!

We are very much into "theme" names here too! We had a Maryanne and Ginger (They're both still alive, but I say "had" because my daughter started calling Ginger "Pancake" -whatever - but the duo was broken up!)
Currently we are on a superhero kick...
I love themes! I had a Gone With The Wind thing going in my mind but after we met them the whole plan changed. What are your super hero names?

Back
Top Bottom