First Aid kit?

Weetamoo93

Songster
May 11, 2020
South Mississippi
What do you like to keep on hand for first aid?

My chicken specific right now consists of:
"Rooster Booster" wound wash
"Rooster Booster" Poultry Cell (expires June 2021)
MannaPro Hen Healer Ointment

Generic items in my house include Hydrogen Peroxide, pet bandage wraps, and gauze.

I like to be prepared because when I had waterfowl, their wounds got nasty fast. I figure chickens will be fairly similar.

The Poultry Cell is only good for a year, so I thought I'd give them some every month so it doesn't go to waste.

This is what I keep. Just remember that any medicine you have will expire and you won't be able to use it anymore.

-La200 (oxytetracycline) - antibiotic
-Antibacterial cream
-Electrolyes
-De-wormer pellets (safeguard)
-Epsom Salt - pain relief, detoxifies toxins, laxative when used orally
-VetRX - helps with respiratory issues and minor colds
-Blue-Kote or Veterycin - antiseptic, discourages pecking of open wounds
-Spray bottle of Poultry Protector or Gordon’s permethrin spray - kills lice, mites, fleas, and ticks
-Neosporin

-Cotton balls
-Tweezers
-Gauze
-Syringes
-Tape
-Cotton Swabs
-Corn Starch
-Scissors
-Gloves
-Clean Rags and Towels

Yes, the cornstarch is there to stop bleeding.
Also, I forgot to mention pine tar. This is great for is you have any bullying, or if you want to stop your chickens from pecking at wounds.

The Poultry Cell is only good for a year, so I thought I'd give them some every month so it doesn't go to waste.
This is what I keep. Just remember that any medicine you have will expire and you won't be able to use it anymore.

*Might* be best to go off of the expiration date, but if you keep it in the recommended temperature/humidity as suggested on the bottle, it'll still last a while longer.

Back
Top Bottom