First Chickens--What Supplies Do I Need?

gatrapper

Songster
8 Years
May 20, 2015
Georgia
Hey Y'all,

My coop is almost squared away. Besides feed, feeder, and a watering system; what other supplies do I need for my birds?

Thank you,
Trapper

An attached run is very important. Depending on your predator situation, you need a tight run. Personally, mine is totally enclosed over the top, but some get by with less.

If you are just getting started with a waterer, I would recommend the nipple waterer for the warmer months, (I can't keep mine open if the temperature gets below 10oF) However, they do keep the water cleaner than the old fashioned waterer.

Bedding, you need a good deep pile of bedding. Many people here use a poop board under the roosts. Under the roosts is where most of the manure will accumulate. A poop board under neath that can be quickly cleaned each day, keeping your bedding fresher. This is VERY important if your coop is the least bit small.

Take a look at articles on ventilation. More than likely, you need considerably more ventilation than most people think.

Personally, I try to keep good clean water, fresh feed available, and reasonably clean coop/run. I do not medicate everything, and I never treat a sick chicken, I cull them. It keeps the flock healthy. Many people on here will recommend a lot of other supplements, but I don't think they are necessary or that effective. However, it kind of depends if you are into more individual birds as pets, or into having an ongoing flock, in which the individual birds come and go.

Good luck, this is a fun hobby.

MRs K

Mrs. K has great suggestions, as usual. ;-)

I see from your other posts that you are a hunter/trapper...so you've got a leg up on dealing with predators if necessary.
But a coop tight with well attached 1/2" hardware cloth will go far in protecting your birds at least at night......
........being in Georgia, you might need a lot of hardware cloth for the ventilation aspect. good articles linked in my signature on ventilation and space, worth the read.

Although I do not medicate without very good and precise reasons, I do keep a bag of Corid on hand in case coccidiosis strikes.
I also have a some blukote, vetrx and a triple antibiotic ointment without pain relief component in case of wounds susceptible to infection and cornstarch for severe bleeding.
I do use 100% pure, food grade DE in the bottoms of nest boxes under the bedding as a preventative against pests.

Having one or two wire dog crates(med or large) can be a great thing to have in case you need to isolate a bird for one reason or another.

I don't usually medicate either, (nor do I have many who get ill and would need it anyways) but I like to keep some vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic powder on hand to mix in their water during times of stress...

Thanks y'all! I did go ahead of purchase some electrolyte mix. Great article aart! Definately going to add more ventilation on the coop. I plan on letting the chickens free range or put up a portable fencing unit for them to be placed in during the day.

I have the feed, feeder, watering system, and fencing. Do I need anything else?

I'd recommend that you read the thread regarding fermented feed. I'm a strong proponent of building flock immunity through use of fermented feed and early exposure to local soil. The chick's "peri-hatch" immunity is strongest in the first 2 weeks. During that time (and after) I offer them plugs of sod from my yard (no herbicides or insecticides, of course). It gives them a healthy dose of soil bacteria to jump start their gut flora, it gives them plenty of entertainment. They'll tear it apart looking for bugs, and they'll get some grit (depending on your soil make up) and their first greens. Then, they'll dust bathe in it. What kind of birds are you getting? starting with day olds? If so, you'll need some supplemental heat (I assume... but... I don't know how cool your nights get! Check out Blooie's excellent thread about the Mama Heating Pad brooder. The most important thing when starting out is to have plenty of room. The recommendation is 4 s.f. in the coop and 10 s.f. in the run per bird. Also, I recommend that you get all of your starter birds from the same source at the same time. Prevents a lot of issues associated with disease.

Back
Top Bottom