First chicks, questions already!

trumpeting_angel

Free Ranging
Feb 6, 2019
Vermont
So our local farm and feed store told me my chicks are a week old, at most. I have 2 Buff Orps, a Gold-laced Wyandotte, and a Black Australian.

First question. They don’t seem to want 95 degrees. But really, I don’t know. I brought them home after five, got them settled, then was busy making dinner with a friend over, to boot. Poor planning! At the moment they are in a small bathroom with a heater, and sleeping under their Mama HP. I plan to get the bathroom up around 85 (it’s 79 now) for the night. Okay?

Second question. One of the Buff Orps got her foot stuck in the feeder, which is a metal tray with a slide-on top. She was flapping around a bit (they were all roosting on the feeder together- cute!) and when I picked her up, one toe was stuck. She was on the end. Should I get a different feeder? I have to go shopping tomorrow anyway.

Third question. If they each have a very few feathers, are they older than one week? The Orps are bigger than the other two. But all four have a few visible feathers. The Orps feathers are more readily visible. I suppose it doesn’t matter but I was trying to figure out the temperature. My friend took pictures; when she sends them I will post.

Fourth question. I thought I’d read everything and understood it all, but I just read a comment that I should check baby chicks for pasty butt every two hours! I haven’t checked them at all! Should I wake them up?

Thank you all! I’m so happy to join here, with chicks, finally!

So our local farm and feed store told me my chicks are a week old, at most. I have 2 Buff Orps, a Gold-laced Wyandotte, and a Black Australian.

First question. They don’t seem to want 95 degrees. But really, I don’t know. I brought them home after five, got them settled, then was busy making dinner with a friend over, to boot. Poor planning! At the moment they are in a small bathroom with a heater, and sleeping under their Mama HP. I plan to get the bathroom up around 85 (it’s 79 now) for the night. Okay?

Second question. One of the Buff Orps got her foot stuck in the feeder, which is a metal tray with a slide-on top. She was flapping around a bit (they were all roosting on the feeder together- cute!) and when I picked her up, one toe was stuck. She was on the end. Should I get a different feeder? I have to go shopping tomorrow anyway.

Third question. If they each have a very few feathers, are they older than one week? The Orps are bigger than the other two. But all four have a few visible feathers. The Orps feathers are more readily visible. I suppose it doesn’t matter but I was trying to figure out the temperature. My friend took pictures; when she sends them I will post.

Fourth question. I thought I’d read everything and understood it all, but I just read a comment that I should check baby chicks for pasty butt every two hours! I haven’t checked them at all! Should I wake them up?

Thank you all! I’m so happy to join here, with chicks, finally!
I am fairly new here but I will try to help a bit.

First off, as long as you don't mind them in the house, neither do they 79F is likely acceptable. Mine were under a heat lamp and very surely not 95 and are now without the lamp and in the mudroom at 6weeks. It has been 40F here at night outside and probably about 50F in the mudroom and they are as bubbly and active as previously.

Next, I would suggest a round plastic feeder. They are less likely to roost on it, keeping the crumbles clean and less likely to climb on and get stuck.

I have never heard to check their booties but then I am newer to this. I can say I have had zero issue with pooping or chick tushes here lol.

As far as feathering, I have black sex link who started feathering at about 2 weeks! Rhode island reds who are nearly fully feathered now, brahmas who are as well, and my leghorn is pretty well feathered. All were clearly feathering by 2-3 weeks.

As long as your chicks are not in drafts and are active and eating etc, your bathroom is fine. Once you get a chance to move them, do make sure they have adequate warmth and perhaps remove the feeder you are using during times you are asleep so as to prevent accidents when you are unable to check on them. At this age you could even provide a plate or shallow dish they can access food at if you are concerned about the feeder

I checked mine a couple times a day, morning, and evening, for pasty butt. The morning/evening routine worked just fine. If they are a week old, you can do 90 degrees instead of 95. It's best if there is a cooler area too. Set the bathroom to 75, and let them use the mama heating pad as needed. They'll go back and forth from the cooler area to the mama heating pad. If they get too cold, they usually get vocal.

I checked mine a couple times a day, morning, and evening, for pasty butt. The morning/evening routine worked just fine. If they are a week old, you can do 90 degrees instead of 95. It's best if there is a cooler area too. Set the bathroom to 75, and let them use the mama heating pad as needed. They'll go back and forth from the cooler area to the mama heating pad. If they get too cold, they usually get vocal.
Mine did this. If the bedding gets too damp...we have a few ducklings too...or someone leaves the mudroom door open, they DEFINITELY let me know!

Don't turn up the heat in the bathroom if they have a brooder plate. It will help cause pasty butt. The room should be cool. Cold if you want. I have chicks in my built in brooder in the coop. The little buggers were flying and ripping around the brooder this morning having a grand time. It was 28 degrees.

Take the lid off the feeder until they are bigger. They will make a mess. That's part of it.

They feather out at different rates. My EEs already have their wing feathers but my Exchequer LH barely has any.

If you drop your room temp and they have their brooder plate, the pasty butt should stop. I feed fermented and that helps get good gut flora started. You may want to put probiotics in their water. I'd check them a few times a day. Let them sleep at night. Just check them before it gets dark. Mine are sleeping on the same schedule as the grown flock and they are thriving. 1 week old today.
Have fun with your chicks!

Back
Top Bottom