First Cull, Didn't go so well

Pics

Scissors65

Songster
May 8, 2019
Palmetto, Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Please don't read this if it's too hard, I am going to be honest and it may be too graphic to some readers.
Tonight my husband and I had to make the decision to cull my sick hen. Opal was my favorite hen, raised from a chick, she was such a good girl, a sweetheart.
I have done research since owning hens, knowing some day there may be an emergency, and I wanted a little knowledge about culling methods sitting in my brain just incase.
I felt cervical dislocation, one of the more humaine choices for us.
Tonight, before the act, we watched videos, practiced on our arms, and read articles. We felt it would be fast.
It didn't work out that way 😭
Poor sweet Opal, My husband tried, he pulled as instructed but her head wouldn't dislocate! He tried a few more times, I think Opal went unconscious a few times, but she didn't die!
We were horrified but had to continue, we were too far into this. I tried, I couldn't feel the crack or dislocation like they said I would.
We laid her down, and thought she was dead, but I could see her breathing! OMG! What does it take to do this? We were following the directions but couldn't get it done!
I grabbed a broom stick, laid her on her belly and tons my husband to pull her body. Wings started flapping, he said he felt the pop,.
I couldn't help to feel terrified that she was still alive, but she was gone.
I NEVER want to do this again! I can't stop crying. I know her suffering is done now, but my goodness, this was not a quick peaceful death that I was hoping for her.
I feel absolutely horrible! My poor sweet little girl. 😭😭😭😭
I don't know what I will do now if another emergency arises. I can't figure out what we did so wrong.
I'm sorry but I had to get this off my chest, all I can see is her little face, 😭
IMG_20200701_175612.jpg

Please don't read this if it's too hard, I am going to be honest and it may be too graphic to some readers.
Tonight my husband and I had to make the decision to cull my sick hen. Opal was my favorite hen, raised from a chick, she was such a good girl, a sweetheart.
I have done research since owning hens, knowing some day there may be an emergency, and I wanted a little knowledge about culling methods sitting in my brain just incase.
I felt cervical dislocation, one of the more humaine choices for us.
Tonight, before the act, we watched videos, practiced on our arms, and read articles. We felt it would be fast.
It didn't work out that way 😭
Poor sweet Opal, My husband tried, he pulled as instructed but her head wouldn't dislocate! He tried a few more times, I think Opal went unconscious a few times, but she didn't die!
We were horrified but had to continue, we were too far into this. I tried, I couldn't feel the crack or dislocation like they said I would.
We laid her down, and thought she was dead, but I could see her breathing! OMG! What does it take to do this? We were following the directions but couldn't get it done!
I grabbed a broom stick, laid her on her belly and tons my husband to pull her body. Wings started flapping, he said he felt the pop,.
I couldn't help to feel terrified that she was still alive, but she was gone.
I NEVER want to do this again! I can't stop crying. I know her suffering is done now, but my goodness, this was not a quick peaceful death that I was hoping for her.
I feel absolutely horrible! My poor sweet little girl. 😭😭😭😭
I don't know what I will do now if another emergency arises. I can't figure out what we did so wrong.
I'm sorry but I had to get this off my chest, all I can see is her little face, 😭View attachment 2242400
I am sorry.

I am so sorry your first experience was so horrible :hugs

We’ve tried many methods and have finally stuck with the quick ax to the neck. There’s no doubt they are gone after that. They will flap their wings but it’s just nerves, they are no longer alive.

Back
Top Bottom