First Egg Countdown

Ok, This is Tilly, she is is a Production Red and is 24 weeks as of last Sunday. Her sister Billy (daughter named her) looks the same with less developed comb and wattle. I don't have a current pic of her but will take one soon. I guess we already sort of had our first egg yesterday, although it was a misfire and came out scrambled. I guess I should have had a bowl under her butt!!
lau.gif
Hopefully she will get hang of it.

The last thing I expected nearing the middle of December was to actually get our first eggs. These ladies are well past 20 weeks old.
I had given up on getting any until spring.
I just had to stop watching them.

Buffies don't lay until they are at least 6 to 8 months old. I have several of them and they are the sweetest chickens you could have gotten! LOL! But yeah, you still have about another 20 weeks or so before you will get eggs from them. The benefit of Buffies is that they will keep laying a long time in the cold of Fall or Winter when the others (if you have other breeds) stop.

I have a question and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask it, but I have a Rhode Island Red, and she is 25 weeks and we still haven't gotten an egg... Is this normal?

I have 2 GSL that are 16 weeks today. I'm not expecting anything for about another month, as no one has red combs, pelvic bones are still close together and no squatting, but it's still exciting to be nearing possible lay
1f603.png

I actually have a 16 week BA with larger red comb and wattles and 2 finger space at the pelvic bones. I also think she might be just starting to squat, but I understand that BAs usually lay later, so I'm not really expecting anything.

I have 1 white star, 1 Buff Sussex and 1 Welsummer Cross. There are about 17-20 weeks old. My White star has a lovely red comb, and she seems to have made a nest but she is not squatting but still I'm excited as i think eggs are on the way!!
wee.gif
My other two are beginning to get red combs, especially other the last week or so. When do you think i can expect legs? I'm so EGGcited!!!!!

We found our first eggs this weekend! On Saturday we found 5 under the coop that were from Pecker, our Gold Lace Wyandotte. She laid one right in front of me! She is 22 weeks old and since there were 5 eggs I'm guessing she started laying at 21 weeks. Then Popcorn Leghorn put one in the nesting box the same day. She is 17 weeks old and so cute and little!
We've had one egg per day from each of them since, and today Pecker laid hers in the nesting box! We blocked off the area under the coop on Sat to encourage use of the nesting box, and Pecker laid her next two out in the chicken run - so I'm thrilled she laid in the box today! Maybe Popcorn showed her, ha ha ha. The decoy ceramic eggs in the nesting box weren't as appealing as the cool shade under the coop I guess.
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom