First Egg Countdown

Pics
The eggsong is the unholy loud racket chickens make when they lay. Some chickens will sing it for as long as a hour AFTER they've laid the egg. Kind of like bragging, I think.

Hope that helps!

Found my first eggs today the cornish laid a small one I know this because the others have pecked her mercilessly and I have her outside the run healing and than one other I am thinking it is one of the New Hampshire reds pretty good size egg my grandson found the reds in the building after I found the cornish's they are just starting their 17th week with us not sure how old when we got them from TSC put figure at least a week because they had little feathers at the tips of their wings ....... happy days LOL

What a great thread! I love seeing the pics of everyone's chickens on the verge of laying their first egg!

Congrats to all of you who have already crossed that threshold.

Here are a few of my girls - at least the three that I think are the closest to laying. All my girls are approximately 16 wks old this week, but I don't have exact hatch dates, so it's hard to tell. Some of them are obviously more mature than others.

My favorite girl, Miss Gussey:

83169_6-28-11_miss_gussey_2.jpg

83169_6-28-11_miss_gussey_1.jpg

My 2nd favorite girl, Big Bertha:

83169_6-28-11_big_bertha_1.jpg

83169_6-28-11_big_bertha_2.jpg

83169_6-28-11_big_bertha_3.jpg

One of the BRs, Good Golly Miss Molly:

83169_6-28-11_miss_molly_1.jpg

83169_6-28-11_miss_molly_2.jpg

I am trying so hard not to run out there more than 4-5 times a day to check the nest boxes! LOL

Quote:
Got it...Youtube helped! Can you tell I am a newbie??

welcome-byc.gif
We are all here to learn! I'm glad that you found the answer to your question. How old are your chicks?
wee.gif

Quote:
Welcome to the thread! Those girls do look awefully close to laying. Waiting for them is torture!

This is Mabel, she's about 21 weeks and no egg yet....

Mabel- Delaware by Raven Wren Designs, on Flickr

This is Ethel, also 21 weeks and also not yet laying...

Ethel- Jersey Giant by Raven Wren Designs, on Flickr

I can say that at least the JJ and the Delaware are starting to do the crouch so hopefully the eggs come soon. My third original girl, Maude, starting laying three weeks ago. Common ladies, let's figure this out!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom