First eggs at 6 weeks on the dot!

MacMamaof4

Songster
9 Years
May 21, 2012
I'm so excited- I walked out to find two eggs today, on the day my jumbo coturnix turned 6 weeks!

I sent twelve boys to freezer camp last week (out of 29 browns- I kept the biggest two males)

I checked my four Texas A&Ms today and found that they were 3 female, 1 male, so I ended up with 3 males and 18 females. Hopefully that's enough for fertile eggs, though we won't try to hatch any out for at least a year.

Anyway, it's so exciting to get that first egg!

Attachments

• IMG_20200627_083926.jpg
    IMG_20200627_083926.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200627_191842.jpg
    IMG_20200627_191842.jpg
    837.8 KB · Views: 10
I'm so excited- I walked out to find two eggs today, on the day my jumbo coturnix turned 6 weeks!

I sent twelve boys to freezer camp last week (out of 29 browns- I kept the biggest two males)

I checked my four Texas A&Ms today and found that they were 3 female, 1 male, so I ended up with 3 males and 18 females. Hopefully that's enough for fertile eggs, though we won't try to hatch any out for at least a year.

Congratulations! They must be very happy! I love your set-up for them in your garden! Do you let them out of their housing? It almost looks like it is built for them to have a little yard to root around in.

Congratulations! They must be very happy! I love your set-up for them in your garden! Do you let them out of their housing? It almost looks like it is built for them to have a little yard to root around in.

I haven't yet- I was afraid I wouldn't be able to catch them! I designed my garden with their coop in the middle- it's 2x14, so hopefully plenty of space for 21. I might add wire to the garden fence so I can let them in my garden beds, but for now they're enjoying all of the weeds and grass clippings.

I haven't yet- I was afraid I wouldn't be able to catch them! I designed my garden with their coop in the middle- it's 2x14, so hopefully plenty of space for 21. I might add wire to the garden fence so I can let them in my garden beds, but for now they're enjoying all of the weeds and grass clippings.
The suggested space per quail is one square foot so I think you are good, especially if you are able to give them things to keep them interested and less grumpy and stressed like yummy weeds and grass clippings!

As for the garden, I would be nervous about that too! Hardware cloth isn’t too expensive, if you aren't worried about animals coming in, you could just have the hardware cloth go midway up your fence? I think they would be less inclined to fly over unless frightened.

First egg at 6 weeks😲😲 mine started laying when they were four months old!!😂

Thank you! I wonder if it's because I lowered heat quickly and moved them outside at 1 week (with a 150 watt basking light available). They did feather out very quickly.

Thank you! I wonder if it's because I lowered heat quickly and moved them outside at 1 week (with a 150 watt basking light available). They did feather out very quickly.
Mine are also living outside and i bought them at the age of one month.but only two females started laying at age of 4 months. Male is still not mating but he crows a lot.i don't know what is the problem with the male and the females.

Back
Top Bottom