First Eggs! Yay! Now what?

Sbr73

Songster
Feb 28, 2021
New Jersey
Yay! My first two weeks of egg laying. New to this so not sure about the egg thing so much. I have some that are non blemishes and then there are some with little specks on them. I wipe them off with a clean dry cloth and keep them on the counter. Can you believe I haven’t eaten one of these yet? Just a little weirded out, but once I come to terms I will eat one of these beauties.

Attachments

• 385C3A5D-41BB-475A-B9E0-7C09813BDA4B.jpeg
    385C3A5D-41BB-475A-B9E0-7C09813BDA4B.jpeg
    384.9 KB · Views: 7
Yay! My first two weeks of egg laying. New to this so not sure about the egg thing so much. I have some that are non blemishes and then there are some with little specks on them. I wipe them off with a clean dry cloth and keep them on the counter. Can you believe I haven’t eaten one of these yet? Just a little weirded out, but once I come to terms I will eat one of these beauties.

Yay! Enjoy fresh eggs! The little specks you're seeing are nothing to be concerned about.

Read more about egg spots here:
https://www.theprairiehomestead.com...,Thankfully, they are not a cause for concern.

Are the specks on the outside or inside of eggs?

On outside......
'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few, if any, of which are a 'problem'.
Can be caused by:
Excess or uneven pigment coating.
Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
Excess calcium deposits.
Porous eggs can appear speckled.
Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.

On inside.....
Blood spots are from a blood vessel breaking when ova is released from follicle.
Meat spots are from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract.

Back
Top Bottom