First eggs

DeannaOR

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Colton, Oregon
I have two POL hens right now, one Delaware and one Lemon Cuckoo Orpington. I also have one Partridge Rock that is probably a year and a half old. The PR lays pretty consistent light tan eggs. Today we found an egg in the poop board without a shell, just a membrane. It was light brown. Is this normal for a first egg? They have access to both grit and oyster shell at all times. I'm not sure who it was from.

Soft shells happen from time to time in new layers. They can also happen in older layers getting ready to take a break, like going into molt. Now that your more confused. Don't worry too much about one egg, they happen.

Soft shells happen from time to time in new layers. They can also happen in older layers getting ready to take a break, like going into molt. Now that your more confused. Don't worry too much about one egg, they happen.

I kinda knew that was coming...lol. Someone told me to stick food coloring up their butts so I knew who was laying what! Poor girls would hate me.

This is the season for new layer questions. And abnormal eggs are high on the list for questions. As to the food coloring they'd forget it with the next treat.

Hi today I got 3 eggs (small) from my 18 week old hens. I raised them from day old.I know they will improve in size and quality in the next few days. Now if the 16 other girls will get with the program my neighbors will be so happy.

Back
Top Bottom