First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Allow me to clarify,the feds I dislike are the ones that try and restrict my constitutional rights. Dislike of neighbors is absolute. I do not socialize nor play nice. One of my friends waved at one years back. It took weeks to get her to stop talking to me

At midnight last night I was forced to explain the many unhealthy consequences that would result If my neighbors 23yr old son fired another salvo of rockets across my roof. To say I whigged out is an understatement. He came around to my way of thinking very fast.

That served to reinforce my desire for some type. Of dense privacy screen around my property. So a litte AFTER midnight I ordered mosso bamboo seeds. 10Yrs time I should have a decent barrier

Well my Gallic slow grows will be 10 weeks on Thursday and I'm starting to eye up the roosters I will keep, I have 8 to choose from.
You guys who have successfully kept back meat hybrids what would you advise? as normally with traditional meat breeds I would go for size, confirmation, stature and movement, but don't want these hybrids going off there legs or unable to breed !
I have 2 very heavy but with typical bad movement.
2 medium / heavy with OK movement.
2 medium with good confirmation & movement
2 light ish and leggy, good confirmation and movement.

Thinking maybe a Medium heavy & a medium.
As soon as I've made my choice I'm separating them and the 4 hens so I can keep a close eye on there food intake.

Last edited:
Well my Gallic slow grows will be 10 weeks on Thursday and I'm starting to eye up the roosters I will keep, I have 8 to choose from.
You guys who have successfully kept back meat hybrids what would you advise? as normally with traditional meat breeds I would go for size, confirmation, stature and movement, but don't want these hybrids going off there legs or unable to breed !
I have 2 very heavy but with typical bad movement.
2 medium / heavy with OK movement.
2 medium with good confirmation & movement
2 light ish and leggy, good confirmation and movement.

Thinking maybe a Medium heavy & a medium.
As soon as I've made my choice I'm separating them and the 4 hens so I can keep a close eye on there food intake.

My best advice...don't be too quick to cull, unless you absolutely must. Such grave mistakes have been made by acting/culling precipitously.

Dave I agree with Turk,especially when dealing with the meat birds. I kept back the birds that could move about like a normal chicken.
Even with the restricted feed they are becoming massive.
I will probably have to AI if i want any consistently fertil eggs

Yeah I know what you mean, I haven't done Lambs or Pigs this year and to be honest I want some meat in the freezer
1f604.png

I still have 2-4 weeks before I'm giving them the chop so might look a bit closer at the lighter ones.
Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom