CoChiChick

Songster
5 Years
Feb 22, 2019
Central Illinois
Hello all,
I have posted on a couple of threads and lurked around, but haven't officially said hello yet. Becoming a chick mom (or as my friends and family may call me, the crazy chicken lady) has been a long time dream for me. For the last several years I have dreamt, researched, and planned for the day I would finally have some chickens, and maybe even some ducks. We bought our first home in Nov. of 2017 and the plan was to add chicks that spring. Well life happens, and that didn't happen.

Fast forward to this year, and once again the chick bug was biting me. I told my husband, that's it, no more excuses, I am ordering chicks for this spring. So, online I went to Meyer's Hatchery and I placed my order for 10 chicks, (8 pullets, 2 roos) and set the hatch day for the end of March. This would give us time to get a coop together, the run setup, and everything ready. So my life, in typical fashion, that all once again changed. With a trip to the local Rural King, the kids just had to have 2 of the cute little runner ducklings that were in the bin. So home with us they came, and I scrambled to get the brooder set up, and these lil ducks settled in at like 8pm on a Saturday night. The ducklings were about 4 days old and cute as little fluffy buttons. In my defense, I stayed strong on my first trip there and left without any chicks or ducklings, just a plan to place an order for some sapphire gems that were being offered. I had checked a few days prior with Meyer Hatchery and was able to have my entire chick ordered shipped a month earlier than originally planned, so our time table for EVERYTHING had to be moved up. Anyways, this led to the chick order at the farm store being placed and due to arrive around the 20/21st of February.

We had no coop, no run, and ducklings in the brooder. What was I thinking lol. 10 chicks from Meyer and 6 more ordered from Rural King. Chicken math happened right here. I was only planning for the initial 8-10. Darn those cute lil Sapphire Gems. So, my Meyer's order shipped with 11 total birds, 2F 1M Speckled sussex, 2F 1M Welsummer, an Australorp, New Hampshire Red, Buff Orpington, and a Gold Laced Wyandotte. Plus a bonus chick that I hoped was another australorp pullet but now suspect is a barred Plymouth or a Dominique roo. We lost 2 from the initial order, a Welsummer or Sussex, (they look so similar that I couldn't say for certain) and the buff or red (also unsure because both chicks were yellowish). Yesterday I received 8 chicks from the farm store, my order was 6. 2F Sapphire Gems, 2F Prairie Bluebell Eggers (lays blue eggs), and 2 straight run Lavender Orpingtons. Plus 2 bonus, 1 of which is supposed to be a P.B.E and another I'm not sure about. They're all pretty much the same color with the exception of 1, so we shall see. We did lose 1 of them this morning, so wait and see is what we do I guess. This is how I went from zero chickens/ducks to 16 chicks and 2 ducks almost overnight.

We did get a coop, an 8x12 lifetime rubbermaid style shed. The chicks and the ducklings are out there toughing it out in the cold (both ducklings and chicks were inside for several days for observation) with a ceramic heat lamp for the ducklings and the mama heating pad for the chicks. The ducks were too big to use this (the MHP) for them and the chicks, and since they are feathering out and use the heat lamp when needed for warmth, we are getting by just fine. The newest chicks were picked up yesterday and they will be joining the other chicks in the outdoor brooder and under the MHP. I am looking forward to having everyone outside. We have a camera in the coop to keep an eye on everyone which helps me not to worry so much about them and the cold, but my kids and I are miserable from all of the dander in the house. I think everyone's allergies are working overtime. I know that these lil critters are a lot tougher than we like to believe and everyone is flourishing in the coop. The ducklings and the chicks are feathering out nicely, and seem to be pretty far ahead of the indoor brooder babies. Sorry for writing a book, just wanted to share my story.

Attachments

• 20190301_112518.jpg
    20190301_112518.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190301_124158.jpg
    20190301_124158.jpg
    734.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190227_084547.jpg
    20190227_084547.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Wow. That's a lot to happen that fast. Good luck with the little ones.
Do you know why the chicks died?

It all really did happen fast! And bless my DH heart for helping me to get everything together so quickly. We still have to get the run set up, but our yard is a mess. We are in the evil freeze/thaw/freeze/rain/freeze cycle that is the midwest winter lol.

I suspect shipping stress was the cause. I could see that the first lost baby from the first shipment and the loss from this second shipment were struggling almost as soon as I got them here and into the brooder. Even being a newbie, you could just tell that they weren't as spunky/energetic as the others. We actually lost a duckling the first night and had to get a replacement from R.K. They had just gotten them the day before and put them out for purchase and of course my daughter wanted the one that seemed to be getting bullied by the others. That kinda backfired for her, but lesson learned. Don't pick the lethargic, almost limpish ones. I feel bad about the fact that we lost any, but I know that they go through so much between hatching and shipping that it takes so much out of them. Hopefully though we don't have anymore issues. Everyone looks great now. Perky, eating, drinking, and growing like champs. The ducklings are huge, and the chicks are all getting crazy amounts of feathers, and are growing like little weeds too. Just not as much/fast as the ducklings. I can't believe how big they are after only 3 weeks.

Welcome! Do remember to add either Brewer’s yeast or nutritional yeast to the feed for the ducks. They grow so fast that without the extra vitamins they will have weak bones. The extra vitamins benefit the chicks as well so don’t worry about separating the feed. I raised my two Khaki Campbell’s with 13 chicks in the same brooder and once everyone was integrated with the big girls in the coop everyone learned to lay in the nest boxes. No hunting for duck eggs in the corners of the coop! Have lots of fun with them.

Welcome! Do remember to add either Brewer’s yeast or nutritional yeast to the feed for the ducks. They grow so fast that without the extra vitamins they will have weak bones. The extra vitamins benefit the chicks as well so don’t worry about separating the feed. I raised my two Khaki Campbell’s with 13 chicks in the same brooder and once everyone was integrated with the big girls in the coop everyone learned to lay in the nest boxes. No hunting for duck eggs in the corners of the coop! Have lots of fun with them.

Yes, thank you. I should have specified that the ducklings and chicks are separate right now, and that the ducks are eating duck starter. I am going to have everyone on the same feed in the next few days, and I will be picking up or ordering some brewer's yeast tomorrow or Monday.

I added my ducklings two days after I received the chicks and it was funny to watch them get acquainted. The chicks started to gang up on the ducklings and peck the webbing between their toes. It only took a few minutes before the ducklings realized they were bigger and could be bossier. When everyone was integrated into the main coop the ducks kept the big hens from pecking the pullets. Guess who rules the coop now? Quack quack!

Back
Top Bottom