First time ever attack by a chicken hawk - INJURY

roxanne

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Roanoke, VA
One of my hens escaped certain doom this morning, but thanks to our fearless rooster and a husband who heard the commotion, the chicken hawk did not win. However, my hen has a wound on her leg where the hawk tried to grab her. Can I use Vetericyn on the would? What else would you all recommend? She is not bleeding badly at all. Most of the wound is a tear in the skin on the outside of her leg. I plan to give her an antibiotic, but I want to clean the would as well. What about peroxide?

Yes, you can use Vetericyn on the wound.

Clean the wound well, you can use the Vetericyn to do this or chlorhexidine (Hibiclens).
I would not use Peroxide.

Do you have photos?
General care for a wound is to clean well, trim feathers from around the wound to help keep it cleaner. Apply triple antibiotic ointment or the Vetericyn is very good.
Don't wrap/cover a wound unless the bird starts to pick at it.
Keep her someplace where flies won't get in the wound.

She may have a bit of shock or stress after the fact. See that she's drinking well and eating. Electrolytes or a little sugar water can be given to help perk her and get her through shock.

Oral antibiotics may not be necessary depending on the wound and if it's tended to daily, but if you feel that it's best to administer them it would be o.k.

Yes, you can use Vetericyn on the wound.

Clean the wound well, you can use the Vetericyn to do this or chlorhexidine (Hibiclens).
I would not use Peroxide.

Do you have photos?
General care for a wound is to clean well, trim feathers from around the wound to help keep it cleaner. Apply triple antibiotic ointment or the Vetericyn is very good.
Don't wrap/cover a wound unless the bird starts to pick at it.
Keep her someplace where flies won't get in the wound.

She may have a bit of shock or stress after the fact. See that she's drinking well and eating. Electrolytes or a little sugar water can be given to help perk her and get her through shock.

Oral antibiotics may not be necessary depending on the wound and if it's tended to daily, but if you feel that it's best to administer them it would be o.k.
I brought her up to the house, cleaned the would (I don’t have the hebiclens) so I used betadine. Flushed it out real good. Gave her an oral antibiotic, sprayed her wound with Vetericyn and put her back out with the other chickens. My husband ended up letting them all out to free range this morning which has me worried, but this evening I will clean the wound again and smother it with antibiotic ointment to deter the flies.

I brought her up to the house, cleaned the would (I don’t have the hebiclens) so I used betadine. Flushed it out real good. Gave her an oral antibiotic, sprayed her wound with Vetericyn and put her back out with the other chickens. My husband ended up letting them all out to free range this morning which has me worried, but this evening I will clean the wound again and smother it with antibiotic ointment to deter the flies.
Oh good, so she's able to move about with her flock and isn't getting picked on.
Betadine is fine to use for cleaning. She's probably going to get dirt in the wound as she goes about her day. I'd just check it daily and monitor it closely.

Back
Top Bottom