First time hatching. How many can I expect? Is there a market for my mixed breed extras?

LovesteadMama

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
So I've been chicken sitting for my neighbor and let me tell you, the eggs are certainly fertile. Those poor hens are going bald from the rooster. Anyways, I was wanting to increase my flock and felt it would be wise to get an incubator and hatch some of these fertile eggs. Well, I went ahead and just bought some chicks thinking it the cheaper option. 2 weeks later, my fiance came home with an incubator. Naturally, I'm hatching some eggs out. I'm not sure what kind of hatch rate to expect so I put twice the amount of eggs as I hope to get chicks from. Is that too many? And if I get a better hatch rate than I was expecting, is there a market for mixed breed chicks? I'm thinking not and that I'll just end up giving them away and most likely having the roosters for dinner 😅. 🤷 Thanks in advance for your advice!

Depends on your area! and possibly the mixes. Bantams (even mixes) sell well due to them being cute n small (and spicy if you ask me!) and OE/EE mixes tend to do well too. Other mixes... you won't get rich off of them that's for sure, but you may be able to sell them for a few dollars! or if you sell them as older pullets you could make more money per bird.

We generally got a 95% hatch rate from all of our eggs, I think 75% was our lowest and it was with eggs we got from someone else, then travelled with them for an hour and a half before getting them home, so that may have impacted it. But it'll all depend on your incubator success/turning/fertility!

Depends on your area! and possibly the mixes. Bantams (even mixes) sell well due to them being cute n small (and spicy if you ask me!) and OE/EE mixes tend to do well too. Other mixes... you won't get rich off of them that's for sure, but you may be able to sell them for a few dollars! or if you sell them as older pullets you could make more money per bird.

We generally got a 95% hatch rate from all of our eggs, I think 75% was our lowest and it was with eggs we got from someone else, then travelled with them for an hour and a half before getting them home, so that may have impacted it. But it'll all depend on your incubator success/turning/fertility!
Thanks for the info! We have some few week old EE in our flock and I'm so excited about it! The incubator i have is farm innovators, circulated air with automatic egg turner. I'm keeping it at 99.5° and humidity is about 65% at the moment.

Thanks for the info! We have some few week old EE in our flock and I'm so excited about it! The incubator i have is farm innovators, circulated air with automatic egg turner. I'm keeping it at 99.5° and humidity is about 65% at the moment.
Hi! How did this turn out? Did you have a lot of mixed breeds that hatched and if so, did they sell?

Back
Top Bottom